Samsung QN85 75" and Sonos Amp Hdmi port connection.

• 2 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Has anyone had trouble connecting Samsunf QN85 to a Sonos Amp?

I just upgraded from a Samsung Qled 70" to a Samsung 75" QN85. I tried connecting the same HDMI to my Sonos Amp but I am getting a message on the Samsung 75" tv "Your audio device is connected to a port that does not support ARC. Please connect your device to the HDMI3 (Arc) port." I ensured it was installed in hdmi 3 port. I followed all the protocols to activate arc through the menu and turned on CEC. I've factory reset it and turned on arc different ways. The screen recognizes the sonos amp hdmi but it flip flops between tv speakers and the sonos. It plays sound on the tv speakers but no sound on the sonos. The tv diagnostic recommended to switch hdmi cables so I did so. No change. And it continued to flip flop. I tested all the wires with an hdmi tester and they all passed. I bought a sonos beam to connect to the hdmi 3 and connected with no issues. It just wont connect to the Sonos amp. EXCEPT I connected a sonos optical connector to the hdmi cord and plugged it into the optical jack on the Samsung. I changed the audio to optical and itsounded properly on the sonos amp and sonos speakers. BUT i was unable to control volume on the samsung remote. I could only control volume by touching the volume controls on the amp itself or the Sonos app. Need help in connecting TV to amp through earc?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Updates. I hooked up the samsung universal remote as home theater and can change volume now using optical connection. It wont work for me because my amp is behind me (facing the TV) about 20 ft in a closet. I still need an hdmi earc connection.

You’ll need to use a 3rd party IR Remote to control all your devices and the Sonos amp off the 1 remote

The Sonos Amp does not have an IR sensor on it, it only will adjust the volume via the Sonos controller, or via ARC/eARC.

yes, the Amp dose have an IR Sensor on it.

Its where the red circle is 

Apologies, you’re absolutely correct.