Answered

Room Setup Sonos One 5.1

• 22 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello fellow Sonos enthusiasts,

I’ve recently bought the Sonos Sub Mini and I’m heavily impressed by the sheer bass from such a small unit at that pricelevel.

I have a par sonos one SL speaker currently used in other rooms of my apartment, but im thinking of adding them to my TV to get a surround 5.1 system to further elevate the experience. However my budget is currently low and behind my sofa there’s a windowsill i can use to place the speakers on (see image). 

So what are you guys thoughts on having them facing the wall and making the sound bounce i feel like it would be kind of worthless but I have zero to none knowledge about speaker placements so i kindly ask for you input.,

Total setup:

Sonos Beam Gen 2

Sonos Sub Mini

Sonos One 

Sonos One SL

Kind regards,

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 22 March 2023, 13:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos Ones, when used as surrounds, play the rear audio.  It doesn’t make sense to have that audio bounce off the walls and appear to be coming from the sides...if that would even work given the angles from your images.  I don’t see an issue with just placing the speakers on the windowsill facing forward.  It’s not the ideal location, but trueplay tuning can help, and you may find it works for you.  You can always try this setup out, and if you don’t think it works well enough, or miss having the Sonos Ones in your other room, you can reconfigure back to your current setup.

Sonos Ones, when used as surrounds, play the rear audio.  It doesn’t make sense to have that audio bounce off the walls and appear to be coming from the sides...if that would even work given the angles from your images.  I don’t see an issue with just placing the speakers on the windowsill facing forward.  It’s not the ideal location, but trueplay tuning can help, and you may find it works for you.  You can always try this setup out, and if you don’t think it works well enough, or miss having the Sonos Ones in your other room, you can reconfigure back to your current setup.

Hi Melvimbe, thank you for the quick answer.

I had a thought it might be a wierd setup, I think i saw Bose suggestion that way in an older system i used to have thats why it stuck in my mind. 
For sure I can try I just wanted to “waste” the speakers. Will for sure try it out this night and try having them facing forward.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Trying it out is always the best case scenario. We can suggest what is ‘normal’, but only you can determine what sound right to you.