Skip to main content

play3

I’ve just setup my system the arc. Plus sub 2xplay3 as rear

now should I be hearing anything from the play3 at the rear  or only when I watch surround sound movie

ty

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

For TV audio the Play:3 will output the rear left/right surround channels when playing compatible Dolby/DTS codecs. Sometimes the sound engineers may provide some ambient audio from the rear channels when playing a Dolby stereo source too, but you may not hear anything at all from the rear channels when playing PCM 2.0 stereo.

For music audio the Play:3’s will output the rear left/right Atmos audio channels, or when playing Standard/HD/UltraHD audio, they will output ‘ambient’ stereo sound via the two rears.

There is a setting in the Sonos App to change this from ‘Ambient’ output to ‘Full’ stereo music playback from the two rear speakers instead. See this Sonos support link if you wish to change that setting and for further information:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/low-audio-from-surround-speakers-when-listening-to-music

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ty ken for your help on this

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is  there a way to test my surround system

ty

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What does the Sonos app say you are playing when you do not hear anything from the rear speakers?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Says nothing

just wanted to test system

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ve been meaning to say if there is anything I can play to test if it is setup for surround sound

sorry for the confusion 

Says nothing

just wanted to test system

There’s a badge that displays on the ‘now-playing’ screen in the Sonos App for the Arc room that will show you the type of audio playing. It can also be seen alongside ‘Audio-In’ next to the Arc in the device list in the ‘About My System’ area of the Sonos App in ‘Settings System’

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For testing purposes you could play something from Netflix. Do not use Youtube, because YT is stereo only (even when the video says otherwise).

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

To test they’re correctly bonded to the Arc, try streaming a music source from, say, TuneIn. With the surrounds set to Full rather than Ambient, you should hear the music both from the Arc and from the surrounds. If that works ok, the TV settings may need changing so the tv sends the correct audio signal to the Arc.