Answered

Pause Netflix/ATV+/Hulu/AmazonPrime Streaming & Automatically lose AirPlay audio connection to Beam

• 24 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Adding my hat to the ring for this already existing topic...

I’m this close to going back to a Bluetooth solution for my audio needs because this issue is super lame …

I used to think my older MacBookPro running MacOS Mojave had something to do with my problems, but I’ve just upgraded to a brand new 2023 MBP running the latest MacOS Sonoma 14.2 and the same problem persists…

_ I stream my video to a projector and send audio through AirPlay to an early 2023 Beam, two SL One’s for surround, & a Sub Mini - WHEN it works, it works great.

_ I use Safari 17.2 for my video stream

_ I briefly tried Firefox but did not see an improvement so went back to my go-to Safari.

_ I’ve tested with Amazon Prime, ATV+, Hulu, and Netflix and the problem is there. The issue is not with the content providers.

_ If you pause the video stream for ANY duration then upon resuming video, the audio will have dropped out… every single time.

The ONLY way I have found to re-establish the audio connection is to BOTH power cycle the beam AND restart the laptop. This is definitely a buzz kill.

I’m down to do any kind of trouble shooting with tech support …

But barring a fool proof solution, I’m just about ready to jump ship for the new year …

Thoughts ?
Opinions ?

Comments ?

Thanks,

-e

icon

Best answer by Corry P 29 December 2023, 17:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Why would you waste money on a full blown surround sound system and connect it via Airplay?  You do know you are only getting stereo from that setup, correct?

Why would you waste money on a full blown surround sound system and connect it via Airplay?  You do know you are only getting stereo from that setup, correct?

lol … your reply doesn’t address the issue at hand … thanks for your comment

lol … your reply doesn’t address the issue at hand … thanks for your comment

Actually, it does.  If you connected your surround sound system properly, the issue would go away (and you’d actually get surround sound from your surround sound capable system). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ericgbauer 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

@jgatie is not wrong - you will only get stereo audio through AirPlay. I presume you’re using AirPlay because your projector has no HDMI-ARC port? You may want to look into getting a HDMI audio extractor to use in conjunction with the optical adaptor supplied with your Arc. For Atmos sound, you will either need a new projector (with eARC or Dolby Digital + support), or a device like the HD Fury Arcana to provide ARC. Please don’t take this as recommendation for an Arcana - it is not.

As for the lost audio after pausing, it sounds like you might be using AirPlay v1 rather than v2. If you initiate the connection from macOS settings, you’re using AirPlay v1. AirPlay v2 can only be initiated from within apps - Safari is probably the best browser to use, as it’s written by Apple. Note that even with AirPlay v2, if you pause for too long the connection will still time-out. For Home Theatre audio, a cabled connection is always best.

I hope this helps.