Skip to main content

I have a rectangular-shaped finished basement rec room about 20-ft. wide by 60-ft. long. There are 4 ceiling-recessed, passive speakers wired into a Denon amp located at one end of the room, and TV on the other end. I want to integrate this into a Sonos "surround sound" system - I put surround system in quotes as I'm not clear that I need to create a true surround system, but basically, I want to watch TV and hear the sound on a soundbar at the TV and on the 4 passive speakers, and still be able to play other content. I assume this will require a Sonos Amp that I can do a 1-to-1 replacement with the Denon amp, and a Sonos Sound Bar (thinking about the Arc Premium). I further assume I need to run a long HDMI cable from the TV to the Sonos Amp at the opposite end of the room? Is it possible to set this up, and is there specific guidance available to tell me what I need to purchase, how to set it all up, and connect the components? I've read multiple articles on the Sonos web site and a handful of posts here and in the community forum, but it's all somewhat confusing. I'd like to have definitive information. Thanks in advance.

The Arc can go under the TV and you can place the Amp at the other end of the room for surrounds. The Amp should be able to connect wirelessly to the Arc for pairing. 

But, four speakers as surrounds may present a problem if any of them are in front of the seating area. 

Secondly, when the Amp is paired as surrounds, the line inputs are disabled. just as they are on any other sonos speakers with line in that you choose for surrounds.

But you can also use the system for music by simply setting the surround audio to Full instead of ambient in the room settings within the app.

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post - it is most helpful and much appreciated!