Skip to main content
Answered

P265v5 remotes codes f

• 23 January 2024
  • 10 replies

I have a P265v5 remote but can find to code to connect to the beam. Is there such a specific code?  

What is a P265v5 remote, and what TV make and model does it go to?

BEAM turns things inside out, compaired to typical remote setup. Remotes will usually ask, “what receiver am I controlling?”, then configures itself to send appropriate codes for that receiver’s Volume and Mute. It’s impossible for the remote to have a specific code for SONOS, because the code is arbitrary as far as SONOS is concerned. Once a remote code is chosen, the user then goes to the SONOS controller to test the code. SONOS will ask the user to press Volume Up and confirm that the code worked as expected. If the user indicates success, SONOS has recognized the code set and will automatically assign Volume Down and Mute. If SONOS did not recognize the code, SONOS will simply use the code sent by the remote for Volume Up and ask for the user to send and verify the codes for Volume Down and Mute.

Don't specify a model that is near by. For example, if there is a YAMAHA receiver nearby, pick another manufacturer, maybe a DENON or PIONEER. This will prevent accidental control of the nearby receiver.

So, I’ve now tried this solution several times with no success - including undoing all the prior controller settings and starting over again fresh - for TV, STB. Still no success.  It feels like I’m missing a step. Is the Beam always “ready” to accept the available remote code, or is there some setting, button, etc on it, or in the software to prepare it to accept the code from the remote sequence? I must say I’m impressed by how difficult Sonos makes this for any unfortunate user who is trying to use their equipment without the benefit of the very latest TV technology.     

What is a P265v5 remote, and what TV make and model does it go to?

P265v5 remote is issued through Verizon Fios….TV is Samsung HP-T5044 

Does this remote use IR, or is it RF/wifi/bluetooth?

In general, if the Beam is connected to the TV using an ARC connection, you don’t program the Beam to ‘read’ the IR signal, it perceives commands via the CEC system from the TV set, so the remote needs to be ‘paired’ with the TV.

The only time the remote gets ‘paired’ with the Beam is when you’re using optical to connect the Beam to the TV, and that’s the point at which the remote must be set to emit an IR signal. 

At no point will the remote control the Beam when not on the TV input, however. The remote will not control the volume when streaming music to the Beam. 

This remote uses IR, as confirmed by the simple test recommended in setup instructions.  Given the TV is older, the only 2 HDMI ports are already in use, thus had to go with the optical connection.  Volume concerns are specific to TV use. Not tried for other purposes.  Can control bar volume via iphone app, but really want a single point of control with the existing TV controller. 

Is anything physically blocking IR transmissions to BEAM?

Bright lights, particularly sunlight can interfere with IR reception. I’ve also seen TV emissions, particularly from plasma TV’s interfere with IR. You can explore this by using an index card or piece of cardboard to restrict BEAM’s view.

Held the remote very close to the Beam and tried once again. That worked!  Good tip! Thanks  

Nearly worn out remote batteries is another possibility.