Skip to main content

I have a brand new ray, and I followed the instructions and hooked in the optical audio cable to the back of the ray and into the audio output on my TV. I’ve been try to use the app to have it read that particular thing and it won’t read it, and I can’t therefore set up my, remote control to control the sound. I’ve unhooked and re-hooked it several times and yet I still can’t figure out what else I might need to do to get it to work. Any recommendations would be helpful. I’ve been on hold with the Sonos technical support for an hour now.

Not sure what you mena by “I’ve been try to use the app to have it read that particular thing and it won’t read it“. What should read what?

@Lizzya 

Did you first add the Ray as a new speaker in the Sonos app?

Home  →   Settings (cog)  →   +Add Speaker or Component

Hi. Sorry about that. In the app when you go into TV set up, it’s trying to read the optical audio cable, which I Believe I have set up correctly. The app doesn’t seem to want to find it and without that it doesn’t seem that I’m able to connect my TV remote so the only sound I’m getting is still out of the TV not out of the beam.

I am confused about what you mean by speaker but I’m trying to just set it up as a simple sound bar with my TV. Does this answer your question?

Check both ends of the optical cable.  There is a very small cap on the end that needs to be removed for the signal to get through.

I am confused about what you mean by speaker but I’m trying to just set it up as a simple sound bar with my TV. Does this answer your question?

To set up a Sonos soundbar, you need to add it to the Sonos app via the instructions I provided. Then follow the instructions in the app. 

Also check the optical cable is fully connected with the cap removed, as @jgatie has advised. 

All, thanks for the information on the tab on the optical cable. I pulled those, but it’s still not connecting through the TV set up on the app. I have to run out now, but I will reach out to you guys again later this afternoon. Really appreciate you trying to help.

Just as a comment for later consumption, some TVs have an audio setting switch to turn on/off the optical port. 

Where would I look for that?

Where would I look for that?

Most likely in the audio menu to the tv. Put the make and model on here and I’m sure someone on here will help.

It’s a Samsung model un55f6300af. Suggestions. I’m still out of the house, but I will try any of your suggestions when I get home later.

I have tried all of your suggestions and also done some research online and it doesn’t look like this TV is compatible with the Sonos Ray, at least not the optical cable. I can’t find anywhere on the TV remote that lets me into anything close to being able to turn on the optical cable. This is my first time using a community chat room and I want to thank you all for your responses. I do appreciate all of the suggestions. 

The item you might be looking for isn’t on the remote, but instead on the settings of the TV set, under (I would expect) Audio. Probably labeled something like Digital Output, although that’s a guess. I haven’t downloaded the operating manual for the TV. 

Because you’re using an optical cable, you do have to make sure the TV set is sending a Dolby Digital signal, and not trying to send a Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, or Atmos signal. Which means not only changing the settings in the TV set, but probably each device connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. 

Thanks Bruce. I did try changing everything from the TV remote, but there is nothing like what you’re speaking about on my TV. It’s an older TV.

Lizzya