Answered

One SL moving rooms after power off

• 10 October 2022
  • 4 replies

I have a Beam (gen 2) sub mini and 2 One SL's acting as rear surrounds. i had to power off one of the one SL's and when i powered it back on it appeared in a new room (living room 2) not paired to the other One SL. Has anyone else seen this ? or knows why it has happened ? In order to get everything back to normal i had to remove the "surround pair" from “living room” and then remove each One SL from the room it was in. then readd a "new" pair of surrounds and go through the setup process again.  i'm concerned this is going to happen every time i turn off a speaker or if there's a power cut.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 October 2022, 00:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It should not lose its surround status just by being powered off.  

If it does become a standalone speaker it SHOULD become a separate room.  I don’t know what you mean by ‘removing the speaker from that room’. If you add it back as a surround the standalone room disappears.

Why did you power off the speaker?

Speaker was powered off because the socket was damaged, it was replaced and the speaker turned back on (around 45 mins powered off). I couldn't readd the speaker as it was now in its new room. Trying to readd a pair of surrounds just kept coming up with the message that I needed a pair of speakers. In order to get a pair of speakers I basically had to delete each (now separate) SL from the room it was in on the app. Then do a rediscover and start over. Surely if a speaker becomes separate/changes setup somehow it shouldnt be assigned any room and the discovery process should be invoked ?, why would sonos create a system that arbitrarily decides where to put a new speaker without asking ?? It doesn't do that the first time it sees the speaker

As far as I’m aware, it doesn’t ever “find a new room” to be in, unless it’s explicitly told to do so.

I’ve had a few power outages, both in individual rooms (circuit breakers) and whole home (thanks, state of Texas!) , and never run in to this particular issue. Not that I don’t doubt what you’ve experienced, but I’d suggest it’s certainly not the normal behaviour, which begs the question of what exactly was going on. 

If you want to, you could test this on your own, by doing a few things. First, submit a diagnostic, to establish your baseline setup. Then try some unplugging, wait a few minutes for everything to power down, then plug them back in. If they come back up in different “rooms” in the software, then submit another diagnostic, and call Sonos with both numbers, and ask them what’s going on. 

From my experience, you won’t have that opportunity, but clearly, your experience is different, the question ultimately to be answered is why. 

@dsharpe76 .  I can only repeat what I said before.  Your post doesn’t make sense, I am afraid.  ‘Room’ is just a label for a speaker or specified arrangement of speakers.  I have two Play:1s which appear, when standalone, as Library1 and Library2.  Once I add them as surrounds to my Media Room Arc they disappear as separate rooms and are just part of Media Room.  If I separate them from the Arc again then they appear as Library1 and Library2 again.  This is all normal.  They haven’t ‘moved rooms’.  I don’t have to remove the speakers from those rooms’, and I can’t even imagine what you mean by that.

You seem to be making life much harder than it needs to be, by doing lots of things that are unnecessary.