No TV Sound after Update

Userlevel 2
Badge

After an update yesterday, I get no TV sound from either of two Sonos Playbases in my house. The Playbases can still play streaming radio stations as well as content from my networked media library. It is only TV sound that does not work. I tried resetting and reinstalling one of the Playbases, but it did not correct the situation.

I’m pretty sure the problem is from the update because both Playbases were affected at the same time.

Does anyone have a similar problem or know a way to restore the TV sound to the Playbases?

13 replies

Userlevel 2

Same. Last update nuked the audio on several TVs in my house connected through Arcs and Beams. The entire new App is just awful, but it killing the entire functionality of thousands of dollars of speakers is just unacceptable. 

Same here with Sonos Arc and Samsung TV.  Cannot understand how they can upgrade without testing these other uses.  Saw same issue from past upgrades in the community notes, so not new to them with this upgrade!

Been on hold waiting for assistance for 38 minutes now.  If I get some actual help, will post here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Same here with Sonos Arc and Samsung TV.  Cannot understand how they can upgrade without testing these other uses.  Saw same issue from past upgrades in the community notes, so not new to them with this upgrade!

Been on hold waiting for assistance for 38 minutes now.  If I get some actual help, will post here.

Have you installed the app update from Tuesday, and run the resulting firmware update?

The Arc to TV connection has nothing to do with the app.  Matter of fact, my brother ran an Arc for years without even using the app.  More than likely an HDMI problem.  Try this:

Unplug the TV and the Sonos Arc.  Let sit for 5 minutes or so (capacitors need to discharge).  Then plug in the Arc, wait for it to show in the app, then plug in the TV.  This will force an HDMI handshake.

Have you installed the app update from Tuesday, and run the resulting firmware update?

The App automatically updated, but checked with App Store anyway.  How would I run firmware update?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The App automatically updated, but checked with App Store anyway.  How would I run firmware update?? 

Settings / Manage / System Updates / Check for Updates.

The Arc to TV connection has nothing to do with the app.  Matter of fact, my brother ran an Arc for years without even using the app.  More than likely an HDMI problem.  Try this:

Unplug the TV and the Sonos Arc.  Let sit for 5 minutes or so (capacitors need to discharge).  Then plug in the Arc, wait for it to show in the app, then plug in the TV.  This will force an HDMI handshake.

Do not know how to unplug TV as it’s a Frame my TV installed with the Arc. 

This isn't a hardware problem, its a software problem. My system worked perfectly for 2 years, then stopped recognising optic fibre input straight after the latest update. Sonos need to sort this out!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I started this topic on May 25, 2024. I am shocked that Sonos still has not fixed the problem. The two Sonos Playbases at my house in NJ have not been able to play TV audio since May 25. The firmware update that they received on May 25 seems to have deactivated their (optical) inputs for the TV audio. Interestingly, I have a third Sonos Playbase at a different location and it did not receive the firmware update. That one still works (thankfully).

I had been about to order some additional Sonos products just when the problem started on May 25. Now I’m getting wary of becoming more deeply committed to the Sonos ecosystem. (June 11, 2024)

This has been an issue for me for a few months now, even before the new app. Some times sound works through my beam after a few minutes after some fiddling around with the TV settings, and I’ve even tried resetting my LG TV settings to their initial settings. Unbelievable for such expensive kit, I’ve mostly resorted to listening through TV speakers since which is appalling after spending the money on a full surround sound set! It’s also no longer adjusting the volume via the TV even when it is working properly, so I’m forced to use our Sky remote to change the volume instead of the TV one.  Please get this sorted Sonos!

As of today, June 19, 2024, the issue is fixed for my TV, which is a Samsung.  If the TV is on I see new selection on my Sonos App Home Screen titled Your Sources.  The only listing under that title is the TV.  Not sure why it’s in this new section and not with Pandora, IHeart, etc., but at least I can now select it.  I was notified by Valery in the Sonos Customer Service Center.  I did let her know that someone needs to update these community posts as I was one of many with the issue.  Hope that helps! 

That still doesn’t solve my issue unfortunately @CLErnst 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Both of my non-working playbases mysteriously started working again on June 28. Sonos must have pushed a stealth update. I did not receive notice of any update; it just happened. Better late than never.