Question

No sound between TV and ARC since app update

I can no longer get any sound from my TV on my Sonos ARC since the app update. I can play music but nothing from the TV. It illustrates that sound is coming through but I can hear nothing.

Any ideas

50 replies

Userlevel 1

@Sonos get this * to work - Roll back the firmware / Update for the playbars!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 1

I have been checking the app for updates daily and still have not yet seen one. Has anyone else seen any updates on their app yet??

@Sonos  do we have an update coming yet?

Userlevel 1

Same here nothing yet - its pretty anoying that they dont even reply…

Wasted an entire Fing weekend on this.  Same problem.  Worked fine for 6 years now no sound.  Does ANYONE have a solution???  Somos is awful

I have found a work around. I have YouTube tv streamed using Apple TV. So in Apple TV setting I have used AirPlay option to use Sonos.

If you are using a DAC adapter somewhere inline between the TV or PC and speaker, then it was the Sonos update. Coincidentallly, I lost power the same day I did the update and attributed the power surge to shorting my adapter. After trying 2 different additional adapters with the same behavior I realized it was the Sonos update. I had to get a Connect to recreate the stream from my PC to Playbar. 

Userlevel 1

Okay lads, its working now with latest from today!! 

Userlevel 1

Okay lads, it’s working now with latest from today!! 

I’m still playing around with it to see if I can get it to work but so far, no dice😓. Hoping a power reset works but I have to leave. I will try more later

Same issue. No sound for movies in apps like Netflix or Prime work but I have found a work around by reconnecting the Beam to the tv through the App.  Then select a movie in Netflix and press play then pause and go down the the information bar and select the Other button and chance the audio from English (orginal) 5.1 to English (orginal).  Then I get sound from the bar but I lose my surrounds.  If I switch shows I sometimes have to change the audio again.   

Sonos please update the bug.  Thanks! 

I thought the latest update will fix this issue but it’s still happening to me. The only way I can use the Sonos system from Apple TV is using Airplay because it doesn’t recognize wired speakers (Beam 2).

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Userlevel 1

I tried playing around with it some more and still no solution(again I’m on a PC so my setup is rather intricate lol)… a little disappointed @Sonos hasn't hopped on this thread yet to advise of a timeframe or anything on a fix.

Userlevel 1

You are right its not working with my analog to toslink adapter :-(

Having the same issue with sound gone from my Playbar with Minisub  and two Play 1 as surround, connected with optical to an Android TV box from Telia in Sweden. 

Would be great with some official response from @Sonos here, recognizing the problem and providing info on how to solve it. Quite a mess.

Userlevel 1

Having the same issue with sound gone from my Playbar with Minisub  and two Play 1 as surround, connected with optical to an Android TV box from Telia in Sweden. 

Would be great with some official response from @Sonos here, recognizing the problem and providing info on how to solve it. Quite a mess.

Couldn’t agree more. Even if they just acknowledged they know about the issue at the least. We’re kind of left in the dark atm. At least I’m not aware of any communication. I’ve been using a Bluetooth speaker as my sound for now and let me tell you… it is NOT good lol

Wondering if there is any new information on this

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m still having no luck getting TV audio to play through my two Sonos Playbases. They have not played TV audio since they received a firmware update on  May 25, 2024. I am shocked that Sonos still has not fixed the problem. The update seems to have deactivated the Playbase’s optical inputs for the TV audio. Interestingly, I have a third Sonos Playbase at a different location and it did not receive the firmware update. That one still works. I hope that Sonos fixes this soon. The situation is very frustrating. (June 11, 2024)

Having the same issue with TV audio and Sonos Arc via HDMI eARC and Samsung smart TV, so it’s not just an optical input problem. When I try to use TV setup in the Sonos app, it freezes/crashes. When I try switching audio source to HDMI eARC from TV speaker, the TV briefly freezes and the menu option completely disappears until a TV restart. This was all working completely fine for years before the latest Sonos update. Something got seriously messed up. 

Having the same issue with TV audio and Sonos Arc via HDMI eARC and Samsung smart TV, so it’s not just an optical input problem. When I try to use TV setup in the Sonos app….

This is really all over the place. I have a second setup with a Samsung Frame TV, with optical sound to a Sonos AMP, and that still works (I had a conflict with the HDMI eARC and a Xiaomi mediaplayer attached to the TV, so that’s why I had to use the optical adapter to HDMI rather than eARC to connect the Samsung to the Sonos). Where are you on this @Sonos?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem here. Been in contact with customer service at sonos twice and they “never heard of it” when I told them I’ve been without sound in my Beam 2 after updates and several restores. The toslink/optical adapter that followed the beam 2 literally lost support after the new update and app. I’ve been without sound on my beam 2 for both TV and record player for over a month. Only airplay and apple music works. By far the worst experience I’ve had with a tech company. Since were not too many complaining about this my guess is that we all will be without help, sound and support for months to come. 

F off, Sonos. 

A relief to read I’m not alone with my sonos struggles since the update. I can watch Netflix, prime and Disney with sound but terrestrial TV and NOW TV don’t have any sound. I can play music through the ARC, sub and two Ones. I’ve spent literally thousands and Sonos has ruined my system. Surely we must all be due compensation????

Spent 2+ hours on the phone with Sonos troubleshooting this today. We were not able to find a solutions and ended up escalating the issue to their support engineers. Hopefully I hear back sometime soon.

Could not get any sound from on the playbar from the tv, also, the playbar has disappeared from the Sonos app.  All efforts to reset the playbar has also failed, I only get a solid white light.  I think the Sonos update and firmware update broke the unit.  Sonos has to answer for this.  

Userlevel 1

My playbar is working with the latest update - i had to do the update within the app, push the wheel - then go to “administrer” right to the option to create a new system and then system update…. Under the Update the Sound came back 🫡🤗

Userlevel 2
Badge

Both of my non-working Sonos Playbases mysteriously started working again around June 28. Sonos must have pushed a stealth update. I did not receive notice of any update; it just happened. Better late than never. Thanks, Sonos.

HERE IS THE ANSWER TO THE HORRIBLE NEW APP UPDATE! If you are like me and can’t control your tv audio after the new app update, here is your fix. It’s INSANE how user UNFRIENDLY this app is and whoever created it should be fired. But putting aside my own anger at how freaking terrible this app is, I found where they put it. When you want to connect the app to your tv you have to click the little down arrow next to the title at the top of the app called “Your System”. Click that down arrow and then choose your tv. Then you can control all the speakers. You would think it would automatically detect that you are playing the tv or at LEAST when you click the dark grey section at the bottom where the volume pops up for each speaker that it would give you the choice of tv source or Spotify or whatever source. But they instead decided to hide it under Your System because they clearly didn’t hire a Ux guy to create something that’s user friendly and intuitive. 

Moderator note: you can reach the same screen by swiping up the Now Playing section at the bottom of the screen - it’s how to select a room.