Answered

Nintendo Switch surround sound not working - Philips TV has no eARC, am I out of luck?

• 11 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi there! New to the world of Sonos, have been enjoying my surround sound setup a lot these past few days. 

However, as others have experienced on these forums, surround sound on my Switch is proving elusive. Details:

• I have an Arc, Sub and two Era 100s
  • Switch runs fine in stereo
  • When switching to surround on the Switch, the audio test only plays 2 out of 6 sounds, from the front speakers
  • TV is a Philips OLED754/12, which only has ARC, not eARC
  • Audio options to tweak are extremely limited on this TV - basically just switching between “Stereo”, “Multichannel”, and “Multichannel (Bypass)”. Tried the latter two, doesn’t seem to make a difference

I suspect I’m out of luck without eARC right? But I wanted to double check just in case, especially with the new Zelda coming out! Thanks all. 😊

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 May 2023, 16:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nintendo are too cheap to pay for a Dolby license, so without eARC (which can give you multichannel PCM) stereo is as good as you can get from it. It is possible an HDFury might help, but that will cost you several Zeldas.

Userlevel 7

The Switch uses LPCM to play 5.1 audio. Because of this, you need a TV equipped with eARC.

You either need to get a new TV with eARC or get an eARC adapter like the HDFury Arcana that allows the Switch to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. Or just settle for stereo audio and hope that the Arc performs an upmix of the stereo audio and plays what is determined to be ambient audio from the surrounds to simulate 5.1 audio.

Deleted.

Thanks for the speedy replies! Will look into the Arcana… or as you say, see how the surrounds perform up mixing stereo. 

I have a LG C1 w/ Sonos Arc connected via eARC.

If I set the Nintendo Switch to surround I get no sound whatsoever. Even the app doesn’t even pick up anything. I’ve tried different cables and TV settings and seems like no matter what I change, it all results in the same : no sound.

I’ve kinda given up on fussing with it, and have just left the switch’s sound settings on stereo so I can at least hear something.