New Sonos Ray will not connect to Samsung TV

• 1 February 2023
  • 6 replies

New Sonos Ray will not connect to my Samsung tv.  Only Optical (ie. No HDMi) available with Ray. Is it a Samsung problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What does “will not connect” mean? Plug in the optical cable, go to TV Settings and tell it to use optical out, go to Sonos app and set it up. If problems persist, say which TV.

Just in case! - ensure that the plastic caps are removed from both ends of the supplied Sonos optical cable. 

Hi contrlav.

Done exactly as you suggest.  But 'Optical' option just sits there with vertical bars dancing, but no sound. 

Samsung series 7 TV.

Plastic tips removed and red 'light' visible in Optical connector on TV.

Hi contrlav.

Done exactly as you suggest.  But 'Optical' option just sits there with vertical bars dancing, but no sound. 

Samsung series 7 TV.

Plastic tips removed and red 'light' visible in Optical connector on TV.

The dancing vertical bars you’re seeing is from which A/V input to the TV?

Also what is the DTV audio codec that the TV is using? - it should not be DTS:X / HD audio. See if it works with either DD5.1 (or if Dolby audio is unavailable, then use PCM stereo) as the default output.
Set each of the TV’s HDMI audio ‘inputs’ to use bitstream.

I am having the same issue with my Samsung tv. I have a Samsung UN60TU690TF. When I connect the optical cord and change the setting on the tv to optical it is not working. I have tried multiple times to do this and when I try to connect to tv on the Sonos app it continues to load/buffer until it tells me it is unable to connect. I have changed the default audio output to PCM and it is still not working. I’m looking for any advice on how I can connect my Ray to my tv. 

This poster has opened their own thread here: