New app and Sonos Sub Gen 3 phase

• 8 May 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi all!

Still getting used to the new app, and noticed something that is intriguing me:

On previous app, if Trueplay was on, Sub Gen 3 phase was grayed out. In the new app , even white Trueplay on, Sub Gen 3 phase is not grayed out and it I possible to set to 0 or 180. Is this working as it is intended and Sonos changed this or is it needed to perform a new Trueplay calibration ?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Thanks for flagging this. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure if that was intended or not, but my guess is that it is not. Your speakers should still have the same TruePlay profile regardless of whether the app was updated or not. My assumption would be that it would have no effect, but just in case it does and it is detrimental, I recommend not adjusting the setting. 

As with many of the reported issues with the new app, this should be resolved soon.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, @Corry P 
After yesterday’s app and speakers updates I had to rerun Trueplay. 
Afterwards some awkward thing are still present, as phase selection for Sub or surround distance setting for Surrounds. 
aAlso, sound with Trueplay seems to be worse, when before this update it was perfect. 
Volume numbers are still missing, which is a shame. 
Very disappointed with these successive attempts from Sonos to get the app up and running as expected. 
It totally destroyed the Sonos aura of great products and seamless worry free use experience. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

I understand, and thank you for your feedback.

The Surrounds Distance setting returned with a previous update (Tuesday’s) - please go to the App Store to ensure you have the latest app version installed.

If you didn’t already, it might be worth trying TruePlay again - be careful of where you place your fingers while doing so (don’t cover mic), and try not to let them slide either. If you have a phone case, please remove it for the procedure.

I suspect volume numbers will be coming back - they are certainly mentioned by customers a lot!

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @marinheira 

I understand, and thank you for your feedback.

The Surrounds Distance setting returned with a previous update (Tuesday’s) - please go to the App Store to ensure you have the latest app version installed.

If you didn’t already, it might be worth trying TruePlay again - be careful of where you place your fingers while doing so (don’t cover mic), and try not to let them slide either. If you have a phone case, please remove it for the procedure.

I suspect volume numbers will be coming back - they are certainly mentioned by customers a lot!

I hope this helps.

I wil try Trueplay again.

Regarding surrounds distance, what I mean is that previously, when you applied Trueplay, both Sub phase and Surrounds distance got grayed out, and now they are active even with Trueplay on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Ah - understood! I’ve been told that we are aware of this, but thanks for reporting!

It should indeed be greyed-out when TruePlay Tuning is active. I recommend not adjusting the setting in case you get undesirable results (like TruePlay resetting, or something).

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just run Trueplay once again, this time with no case and n the iPhone. 
Once again, sound with Trueplay lacks treble, even if adjusting treble to max. 
It’s bad, as my Trueplay survived the first major app update and sound profile was excellent. 
now it’s a mess. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

If TruePlay still isn’t sounding as good as it used to, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who will - at the very least - document the issue and report it.

As they will probably ask you to do the following steps, I’m putting them here so you can try them before calling in:

• Reduce background noise - please limit any external sound or loud noises such as talking during the tuning process. It may be beneficial to also temporarily power off devices such as fans and air conditioners. We should also consider temporarily powering off ultrasonic devices such as animal deterrents when applicable.
  • Cover as much area as possible - During the tuning process, please cover as much of the room as possible. For smaller rooms, alternatively cover where you will be listening primarily.
  • Moving the iOS device - please make smooth and steady movements of your iOS device from head to waist during the tuning process. The movement should not be too fast.
  • Do not adjust the volume - During the tuning process, please do not adjust the volume of the speakers. Any adjustments to the volume may cause undesired results.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @marinheira 

If TruePlay still isn’t sounding as good as it used to, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who will - at the very least - document the issue and report it.

As they will probably ask you to do the following steps, I’m putting them here so you can try them before calling in:

• Reduce background noise - please limit any external sound or loud noises such as talking during the tuning process. It may be beneficial to also temporarily power off devices such as fans and air conditioners. We should also consider temporarily powering off ultrasonic devices such as animal deterrents when applicable.
  • Cover as much area as possible - During the tuning process, please cover as much of the room as possible. For smaller rooms, alternatively cover where you will be listening primarily.
  • Moving the iOS device - please make smooth and steady movements of your iOS device from head to waist during the tuning process. The movement should not be too fast.
  • Do not adjust the volume - During the tuning process, please do not adjust the volume of the speakers. Any adjustments to the volume may cause undesired results.

I hope this helps.

I did as always while performing the Trueplay adjustment.

I believe I will refrain from reaching support as it seems to be related with this plethora of issues that is plaguing Sonos app/ecosystem.

Also, for the last 2 days I am unable to play anything on Apple Music or from my Local library on my NAS, and nothing was changed during these last days.

I honestly hope Sonos solves this very soon as things right now are pretty bad

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Also, for the last 2 days I am unable to play anything on Apple Music or from my Local library on my NAS, and nothing was changed during these last days.

You should be able to play from both - for these issues, I again recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.