Answered

Network issues connecting sub (G2) to playbar

After updating to Sonos2, unbeknown to me until recently, my Sub had stopped working. Tried to reconnect it but having issues when I get to part of the process where you connect the device to a room/playbar.

Have tried:

• Factory reset the Sub
  • Sub connects fine to a temp network
  • Checked my Wifi and wired network
  • Moved as much RF interferring materials between the device and the AP

The Sonos App (iOS) comes up with the following:
“There was a problem with adding your Sub. Check the network connection and make sure your product is powered on.”

I have logged a call, but I’m a little impatient.

Any help would be appreciated.

B

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 January 2021, 18:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Try a network refresh. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, then while they are powered down, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. Wait a couple of minutes for them to fully reboot before trying to add the Sub again.

There’s no guaranty here, but rebooting all devices, including the router, wouldn’t hurt. No need to do any factory resets, though, in fact they can be dangerous, as they erase any error data that might be present for Sonos to look at. 

Try a network refresh. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, then while they are powered down, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. Wait a couple of minutes for them to fully reboot before trying to add the Sub again.

There’s no guaranty here, but rebooting all devices, including the router, wouldn’t hurt. No need to do any factory resets, though, in fact they can be dangerous, as they erase any error data that might be present for Sonos to look at. 

Thanks Bruce. Tried that and only powered on the Playbar. Powered on the Sub, removed it from “Lounge” and now it cannot be seen on the network. Light is solid white.

Message: “Sub not found. Make sure your Sub is powered on and connected to WiFi.”

Is there a way to check it’s connection to WiFi?

Not really. And it’s trying to connect to the PLAYBAR, not your WiFi. 

Which raises an interesting question. Might be worth double checking that somehow WiFi hasn’t been turned turned off on your PLAYBAR.

Otherwise, we may need to wait for Sonos to look at a diagnostic. 

Not really. And it’s trying to connect to the PLAYBAR, not your WiFi. 

Which raises an interesting question. Might be worth double checking that somehow WiFi hasn’t been turned turned off on your PLAYBAR.

Otherwise, we may need to wait for Sonos to look at a diagnostic. 

The Playbar works fine and is not connected by cable.

Great, but you haven’t really answered my question. Or perhaps I didn’t state it properly.

Is WiFi currently turned off in the room settings for the PLAYBAR?

If it is, it needs to be ‘on’. And if it is on, it is worth turning it off for a minute, then turning it back on, then trying to add the Sub.

If you have another speaker that is not part of the home theater room, it may be worth trying to add the Sub to it, instead, to see what the result is. Or having more patience and speaking directly to Sonos. 

Great, but you haven’t really answered my question. Or perhaps I didn’t state it properly.

Is WiFi currently turned off in the room settings for the PLAYBAR?

If it is, it needs to be ‘on’. And if it is on, it is worth turning it off for a minute, then turning it back on, then trying to add the Sub.

If you have another speaker that is not part of the home theater room, it may be worth trying to add the Sub to it, instead, to see what the result is. Or having more patience and speaking directly to Sonos. 

Pretty sure I answered your question with it works fine and is not connected by cable. Surely it would not work if it was not connected to WiFi in this scenario. Thanks for your help, I’ll wait and speak to the experts.

Pretty sure I answered your question with it works fine and is not connected by cable. Surely it would not work if it was not connected to WiFi in this scenario. Thanks for your help, I’ll wait and speak to the experts.

You are talking to the experts.  Since handing forum support over to a brand new crew, the longtime posters know far, far more than the “experts” you wish to talk to.  It’s also pretty rude to insult someone who is only trying to help.  

You are talking to the experts.  Since handing forum support over to a brand new crew, the longtime posters know far, far more than the “experts” you wish to talk to.  It’s also pretty rude to insult someone who is only trying to help.  

When did I insult anyone? I answered a sarcastic comment with an equally sarcastic comment. So how about you stop interferring.

When did I insult anyone? I answered a sarcastic comment with an equally sarcastic comment. So how about you stop interferring.

Funny, because I'm one of those experts you seek and I could have you up and running in minutes.  But I wouldn't help you now if you paid me for it.  Toodles!

Funny, because I'm one of those experts you seek and I could have you up and running in minutes.  But I wouldn't help you now if you paid me for it.  Toodles!

Lol, I’m so hurt now. And you are so magnificant. Enjoy your wonderful life of staring at a wireless speaker forum in your cardigan and pants. x