Skip to main content

I have Earc hdmi om both Sonos Arc and TV, but no Atmos support on TV. How do I get Atmos?

The newest “Chromecast HD” support Atmos - Can I somehow connect it, to solve the problem? (do I need the HDFury or VAX04101A to fix the problem)?

I need help from the experts :-)

What model TV do you have? If it is equipped with eARC, it should support Dolby Atmos pass through from an external media device or from some of the native streaming apps on the TV.

The TV model is Samsung UE55js8005. Bought in 2016. 

So if the TV has EArc hdmi I can connect an external media foreksempel  the new Chromecast HD to the TVs hdmi inputs. When the Chromecast is connected I can send a signal from the Chromecast though the TV though the EArc connection to the Sonos Arc. And the sound if I foreksempel see Games of Thrones from HBOMax would be Atmos sound on the Arc Soundbar?

That model TV is not equipped with eARC and more than likely doesn’t support Atmos pass through from an external media device. So you need to get a new TV or an eARC adapter like an HDFury Arcana.

Ohh I thought my TV did have EArc. Ok. So if I buy an HDFury and Connect it with my Old TV but also my Sonos Arc I get EArc on TV (so I can turn up my volume on the Sonos Arc with my TV remote)? 

And if I wanna use a Chromecast HD to get Netflix, Disney+ which is Atmos compatible does I just Connect it to the TVs Hdmi ports or? 

You will connect the Arc, TV, and Chromecast directly to the Arcana. And you will still be able to control the volume on the Arc using the TV remote.

FYI… the Chromecast with Google TV should support Atmos audio on Netflix and Disney+, but it may not support Atmos on Max (HBO Max).

Super - I am listening 

The HDFury is clearly the save option. I found the recommendation for the  “Feintech VAX04101A”. Seem that it also support EArc, Atmos, but it is cheaper but also include extra hdmi ports. Do you have experienced with that.

https://www.amazon.de/FeinTech-VAX04101A-Sources-Soundbar-Projector/dp/B099S68RWN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1IIT6X261TUJ4&keywords=hdfury%2Barcana&qid=1689372904&sprefix=Hdfury%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

On of the recommendation sound like this:

””“I live in California, USA and the device similar to this -- HD Fury Arcana -- is twice as much money and does not have the extra HDMI inputs to make it a switch. Hard to justify $300 US.

I purchased this hoping it would provide Dolby Surround Sound 5.1 and Dolby Atmos. I have a lower end Samsung TV which is probably six years old and which does not have ARC or eARC and I wanted to add surround sound using a Sonos Beam 2nd Gen. I got it yesterday. The build quality looks very nice. I hooked it up, made sure the right inputs were selected (7.1 and AUTO) and that eARC was selected, and it works just great! I have received the best input offered by the signal coming through my Fire TV 4K. The Sonos app tells you what you are getting. If it is possible to get Dolby Atmos, I have got that. Most of the time Dolby 5.1 or Dolby Digital. It sounds great and so far I've had no problems using my devices”””

@Morlock1943 - just to be clear the HDFury Arcana, or any alternative, does not ‘upgrade’ the TV capabilities instead you connect your Source device(s) to the HDFury and that allows you to then route optimal Video to the TV plus Optimal Audio to the SONOS Soundbar.

Note that you need to connect the SONOS Soundbar to an eARC or ARC enabled TV and complete the SONOS initial setup before you introduced the HDFury into the system, if your TV predates ARC you will have to set the SONOS up with another TV before anything is going to work.

A key difference between HDFury and any alternative is that you are buying into a product which runs firmware which is constantly being updated to allow for changes in the rest of your system, you update the HDFury Arcana using a USB stick. Other products require you to ship them back to the manufacturer to make updates (if any become available).

It is also worth noting that most streaming services require you to subscribe to their premium tier subscription to access Atmos enabled content.

Which TV do you have?

The TV is a “Samsung UE55JS8005” bought in 2015 or 2016. Here is the manual in english.

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201508/20150806092714298/ENG_HMUDVBEUJ-1.312.pdf

On page 27, you can see the TV has ARC.

I know the basic on the TV cannot be changed. So the only 2 thing the TV should do is to show a brillant picture and transfer sound to the Sonos Arc though the HDFury.

Do I connect the Apple TV (or Chromecast) to the Hdmi on the TV?

The TV is a “Samsung UE55JS8005” bought in 2015 or 2016. Here is the manual in english.

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201508/20150806092714298/ENG_HMUDVBEUJ-1.312.pdf

On page 27, you can see the TV has ARC.

I know the basic on the TV cannot be changed. So the only 2 thing the TV should do is to show a brillant picture and transfer sound to the Sonos Arc though the HDFury.

Do I connect the Apple TV (or Chromecast) to the Hdmi on the TV?

You would be best to attach the external peripherals to an HDMI switch - see attached diagram.

Although note there are other audio extractors with a combined switch, such as the Feintech VAX04101 (edit - ah I see now that you have already researched this device. Just to add I use this switch/extractor and it has worked well for me FWIW).

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-topseller/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

Ok so even the Apple TV have to go though the switch. 

Feintech VAX04101 does not support Sonos Arc sadly. The price is good.

But this one seem better 

https://www.amazon.de/FeinTech-VAX04101A-Sources-Soundbar-Projector/dp/B099S68RWN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1IIT6X261TUJ4&keywords=hdfury%2Barcana&qid=1689372904&sprefix=Hdfury%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Ok so even the Apple TV have to go though the switch. 

Have you any personal experience with the Feintech VAX04101. It seem stable enough but a bit more complicated to set up?

The link posted shows how it’s setup with the TV - it’s straightforward, just like adding a switch to any TV - it extracts the audio from the A/V source and sends it to the Arc with no delays, so all plays in sync with the video on the TV screen.

@Morlock1943 - if you want to optimise the Source audio you connect the Source to the HDFury and then the HDFury to the TV ARC socket and a second cable from the HDFury to the SONOS eARC socket.

The ‘trick’ is that the HDMI socket on the SONOS will not work with a conventional HDMI Switch so the HDFury has to ‘act’ like a eARC/ARC TV.

Before you can introduce the HDFury you must connect the SONOS to the TV ARC socket and go through the SONOS initial setup then you add the HDFury to the System.

You can still route the TV Audio via the HDFury to the Soundbar.