Question

Lost surround pair, reset all, now can't see on app after failed connection attempt

• 13 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi,

Thanks for reviewing, got a strange issue with my setup, hope someone can help :) …

Not too sure how long it’s been like this since I started playing with the setup today.

System setup:

S2 app

Playbar, wired connection, with pass though going to a TV

Sub, wireless connection

2x Play 1’s, wireless connected acting as surrounds.

room size, 3.5 Mtr x 7 Mtr

a basic 5.1 setup.

I’m aware of at least 2x app updates (including the new second sub update) since my setup was fully working.

I noted that the surrounds weren’t producing any sound, and that that they where identified as “?” within the app.

so

Steps tried.

1. rebooted both the Play 1 speakers, no change.
  2. removed the surrounds from the room setup, unable to see as individual products, re scanning can’t find them.
  3. wired 1x speaker in and reset, noted update on the speaker, applied this, then repeated with the other, then setup a test pair, working, no problem.
  4. attempted setting up to Playbar and sub, it went through the stages of connecting, then failed advising that compatible products connected to the wireless are required.
  5. connected both by cable to the router and setup a pair again, “moved” the sub and connected to the pair of Play 1’s worked fine.
  6. disconnected the wire and noted all working on wireless, prior to disconnecting, I’d disabled and re enabled the wireless on the play’s..
  7. removed the sub, and attempted setup of the Playbar to the 2x Play 1’s, unable to detect, reset the Play’s again, and wired in and attempted connection with the same error in step 4.
  8. Hit the forums, and noted a post that advised on checking the wireless settings (for 2.4Ghz, this was set to b/g/n, changed to b/g) on my router (as this hasn’t changed for a while i did it anyway, also applied a firmware update to my router while on it also)
  9. Factory reset everything, connect sub and both Play 1’s (via cable) confirmed working.
  10. disconnected the cable on the speaker (left surround) no audio, reconnecting resumes audio.
  11. Hit forums again, noted post about changing the sonosnet, this was set to 11, as main wireless is on 6, so adjusted to 1, no reconnection, rebooted all.
  12. removed right surround, now unable to see the Play’s as individual products, attemping to scan or add the products results in the error in step 4.

If I was to reset and wire the play’s they would work fine, but the rear left isn’t the easiest place to get a hard wire too, unless a homeplug (are sonos compatible with them??) is used.

I have a pair of the Ikea Sonos in the kitchen, which also don’t connect to the playbar (but they are too convenient in the kitchen, so not too fussed about that.

I’d say I have a wireless issue from the Playbar, but it maintains the connection to the sub fine!

Have a missed a stealth updated that has borked the Play 1’s from connecting to Playbar??

I created a third SSID on my router for the Sonos on 2.4 Ghz, but this wasn’t showing as an option.

Sorry for the wall of text, just a little frustrated that this isn’t working on the wireless.

Cheers

Martin

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Mart J.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention and for providing very detailed and isolated information about what was already done. I would like to  provide some recommendations to help you out.

I would suggest calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps, It is best that you be familiar with the following information so we can check our articles if we have a known issue with your network hardware since after doing a factory reset, your Sonos App still cannot add a Sonos device.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,