Answered

LG G3 and Sonos Arc - no sound via eARC

Userlevel 2

Hi everyone!
I'm facing an issue with connecting a new LG G3 65” TV to a new Sonos Arc soundbar. There's simply no sound coming through the HDMI eARC port (port number 2), despite following all instructions carefully and confirming that sound should be working. Both devices are updated to the latest firmware. Here's what I've tried over a fruitless 8 hours, with no success:

1. Reinstalling and resetting both devices to factory settings, multiple times.
2. Ensuring the cable is firmly connected to the HDMI 2 eARC port.
3. Disconnecting all other HDMI devices, including an Apple TV 4K (3rd gen), which was disconnected from the TV almost all the time.
4. Powering off the TV and soundbar and unplugging them for several hours, then reconnecting everything.
5. Resetting the TV's A/V settings (pressing the Mute button three times).
6. Testing the soundbar with Bluetooth, the TV's optical audio output, and Airplay - in these cases, the sound works perfectly, indicating the issue might be with the TV rather than the soundbar.
7. Switching to a new HDMI 2.1 Ugreen cable, which is proven to work (it transmits 4K DV perfectly with the ATV 4K) - to no avail.
8. Toggling the TV's eARC, simplink, and passthrough/auto settings on and off.
9. Removing and reconfiguring the device in the HDMI 2 eARC port through Universal Control Settings.
10. Following this internet advice multiple times with no results: "Disconnect everything from the TV, including the Arc, and unplug everything for a couple of minutes (I tried one minute, ten minutes, and an hour). Then power on but keep the HDMI disconnected. Turn on Simplink on your TV, then run 'Set up TV' in the Sonos app. When the app says, connect the Arc to the TV's HDMI ARC port using the Sonos cable." No effect.
11. Contacting Sonos support, sending diagnostic files, and trying many solutions - all ineffective. Diagnostics suggest the soundbar is fine, but there's no audio signal from the TV. The soundbar is connected, online, and detects the cable. The Sonos app (Android) also connects to the TV's HDMI without issues, reporting that the Arc is successfully connected to the TV. Sonos support mentioned that the TV's eARC is not recognized by the soundbar.
12. The soundbar responds to the LG remote - flashing when volume changes and indicating when muted, so the CEC connection seems to work. Only, there's no sound. 

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to test the soundbar with another TV or vice versa. However, Sonos support is 100% confident that the soundbar itself is fully functional. I understand that connecting such a soundbar should be straightforward and hassle-free. What could be wrong? I suspect it might be an issue with the TV's firmware, but I'm unsure how to verify this. It's frustrating that such premium devices can behave this way. Any advice on what else I might try to resolve this issue?

icon

Best answer by swayn 15 March 2024, 11:32

View original

12 replies

Did you contact LG’s support? It sure seems like the Sonos is making an appropriate connection, based on your data, so for some reason, your TV isn’t sending a signal through the ARC connection to the Sonos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

What happens without any soundbar attached? Appropriate sound out of the LG on board speakers, to include with Atmos turned on?  

Userlevel 2

Did you contact LG’s support? 

Yes I did, they should send a technician to figure it out. 

Userlevel 2

What happens without any soundbar attached? Appropriate sound out of the LG on board speakers, to include with Atmos turned on?  

A regular TV speakers sound happens without any problems. And yes it shows that atmos is on. Moreover, the tv shows that atmos is turned on even with the soundbar connected, - the dolby atmos sign appears in the top right corner when the tv plays some atmos content, but no sound lmao

As I said, that suggests that the TV is sending a carrier signal to the Sonos, but nothing is carried in that signal. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

As I said, that suggests that the TV is sending a carrier signal to the Sonos, but nothing is carried in that signal. 

Logically I wonder what the potential causes could be?

@swayn

If the TV audio-out over optical works with the Arc (using the supplied optical adapter) that would maybe infer that it’s a TV HDMI2-ARC/EARC issue. At least that’s my own thoughts. By the way did you try PCM audio output to the Sonos Arc too?

My guess, and it’s only that, is that either there’s a setting that isn’t ‘set’ properly. I’d really be tempted to check the TV for updates first, then reboot it by unplugging it from the wall for five minutes, which would force it to reload its firmware when you plugged it back in. But, none of that would help if there’s a hardware fault in the TV’s electronics, such that it isn’t passing audio to the ‘live’ Atmos ARC connection. 

Userlevel 2

@swayn

If the TV audio-out over optical works with the Arc (using the supplied optical adapter) that would maybe infer that it’s a TV HDMI2-ARC/EARC issue. At least that’s my own thoughts. By the way did you try PCM audio output to the Sonos Arc too?

Same thoughts. Yes I did try PCM, still no sound

Userlevel 2

My guess, and it’s only that, is that either there’s a setting that isn’t ‘set’ properly. I’d really be tempted to check the TV for updates first, then reboot it by unplugging it from the wall for five minutes, which would force it to reload its firmware when you plugged it back in. But, none of that would help if there’s a hardware fault in the TV’s electronics, such that it isn’t passing audio to the ‘live’ Atmos ARC connection. 

Thanks, tried all these but to no avail. Let’s see what the LG technician will say

Userlevel 2

So, LG service guys came and checked everything on another soundbar. The problem is with the eARC port. They will be replacing the main board, hopefully soon

Userlevel 2

Immediately after replacing the TV main board, everything worked as it should - just plug and play. I hope my thread will help someone. Thank you guys for your support!