Is this a solution for being able to easily switch back to TV speakers from Beam ?

• 15 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Upto now I've been toggling CEC (viera link) on and off to switch between Beam and TV speakers as a work around. Would adding an HDMI switch into the connection with an empty port work ? ie switch to the empty port when not wanting to use Beam, or would the TV just send the signal to the empty port anyway ?

4 replies

I’m pretty sure that would not cause a TV to switch to its internal TV speakers? As CEC is still enabled and listening-out for instructions from your other TV connected devices - the only way I’ve been able to switch to another audio-out source (TV speakers, Bluetooth, Headphones etc.) is to actually switch off CEC on the TV.

I’ve owned surround sound systems for going on 30 years.  Not once have I ever preferred listening to the TV speakers over the surround system.  I can understand using headphones, but I’m struggling with the logic that lousy TV speakers are ever preferable to the surround sound system. 

The TV is a high end Panasonic with substantial built in speakers, which are more than enough for day to day. The Beam is only really needed for films and music.

Well it's your call, but even if the TV speakers are "more than enough" and the Sonos HT system is only "needed" for movies..... in the end you are giving yourself more work to achieve an inferior result.

There probably isn't an easy way to do this, because nobody would want to do it.