Answered

iOS17.0

• 22 August 2023
  • 28 replies

Why Sonos Trueplay not working on new iPhone iOS17.0 update can Sonos please update your app too. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 August 2023, 10:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

iOS 17 is in beta. Sonos doesn’t support beta versions of operating systems.

I don’t see why not we are in 2023 modern days why Sonos doesn’t support beta 🤦🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️

I don’t see why not we are in 2023 modern days why Sonos doesn’t support beta 🤦🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️

Seems obvious to me - beta code does have a habit of changing quite a few times, prior to general release - it makes far more sense to wait until Apple draw a line under their iOS update.

Modernity has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Apple beta users have to take on board the inherent risks of pre-release software. 

https://beta.apple.com/faq

Beta software may contain errors or inaccuracies and may not function as well as commercially released software. 

Why should Sonos deal with the complications of supporting their software on what is potentially an unstable platform?

I have some limited experience with 3rd party applications interacting with Apple beta code. You are chasing your tail. Even if you are up to date with the beta, something can change in the last days of beta and your application no longer works on release day. Of course the Apple applications work and you are severely criticized for letting your customers down.

A further annoyance is that Apple might eliminate or rework an API and if your App does not follow, it will be removed from the App Store. Too bad if older phones/pads don’t support the new API and your customers criticize you for discontinuing support for longtime users.

iOS 17 is released today (9/18/2023).  Trueplay on the Sonos iOS app still not supported.  You can only use the ‘beta’ excuse for so long.. now Sonos you are a true laggard.  And really… as a dev… does the mic experience really change that often that you need a bespoke audiologist to retune - and delay your release after Apple releases theirs - for EVERY iOS version??? The answer is no.. you’re just late :(

Yep. Finding and scheduling time to investigate, and test, can be challenging, especially if the other company doesn’t share data in advance with you, and your engineering time is more focused on other items.
I suspect from Sonos’ perspective, there are more customers out there than just people who have updated to iOS 17 today, on its release date.

I also expect if you have some patience, it will show up soon enough. 

+1, ios 17 is no longer in BETA. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Sonos latest update doesn’t work properly on speakers half my system will not update 

all my wireless speakers updated fine however the sonosnet ones are stuck requiring an update 

using iOS 17

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update 

now all but one surround speaker updated

5 attempts so far ….

edit

7 times the charm all speakers finally all on 15.8 

worst update for messing about so far unsure it’s iOS 17 though 

Update 

now all but one surround speaker updated

5 attempts so far ….

Sounds more like your router is having some difficulty re-assigning IP addresses back to the devices after reboot, perhaps? If not done so already, I would try using automatic Sonos firmware updates to a chosen schedule and assign static IP addresses in the routers DHCP reservation table. Both those things will usually solve the type of issue you are likely seeing here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Had same static ip on all my Sonos gear since day 1

also reboot main router and WiFi router weekly it’s not a network issue 

Had same static ip on all my Sonos gear since day 1

…but obviously you haven’t implemented the automatic firmware updates to a chosen schedule. If you maybe do that, then you will only need to download and update the App next time, it will save you ‘faffing’ about with the hardware updates/reboots like you’ve seen on this occasion.

For a decent sized Sonos household I’d also recommend leaving it to update automatically. Each device does its own thing without having to talk to a controller.

Sonos does this with every major iOS release and it’s really unprofessional. It is the only app on my phone that stops working properly every September. They’ve had months to prepare for the release and AFAIK Apple didn’t make any changes to the microphone access. I use plenty of other apps that use my microphone and they work seamlessly from release to release. For example, Duolingo uses the mic to listen to my voice and confirm that what I’m saying matches the words they are asking me to pronounce. 

I just bought a new couch and rearranged my living room last night. The surround sound now sucks. C’mon Sonos PMs get your act together and prioritize supporting your customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Sonos does this with every major iOS release and it’s really unprofessional. It is the only app on my phone that stops working properly every September. They’ve had months to prepare for the release and AFAIK Apple didn’t make any changes to the microphone access. I use plenty of other apps that use my microphone and they work seamlessly from release to release. For example, Duolingo uses the mic to listen to my voice and confirm that what I’m saying matches the words they are asking me to pronounce. 

I just bought a new couch and rearranged my living room last night. The surround sound now sucks. C’mon Sonos PMs get your act together and prioritize supporting your customers. 

Just put it back the way it was until December or whenever it’s updated. NBD, ps don’t upgrade your phone as iPhone 15 support might be a while as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Trueplay is the only function that does noet seem to work (for some) after iOS17. Do you really do Trueplay every week? How much of a problem is this?

Since yesterday I seem to be able to start Trueplay on my iPhone XR and on my iPad 7th generation.

Modernity has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Apple beta users have to take on board the inherent risks of pre-release software. 

https://beta.apple.com/faq

Beta software may contain errors or inaccuracies and may not function as well as commercially released software. 

Why should Sonos deal with the complications of supporting their software on what is potentially an unstable platform?

Well now it’s released and Sonos still isn’t working so guess Sonos should’ve been at least testing the software. It’s not like apple ever withdraws a major iOS update. 

What makes you say Sonos isn’t working on it? Do you have some inside knowledge we don’t?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Airgetlam It's up on reddit some older IPhones (I can confirm for iPhone 11) on iOS 17 and newest iPhone 15s don't work with trueplay because Sonos has to make new calibrations first. 

Isn’t that different than ‘isn’t working on it’? I’m confused by that assertion. I don’t know if they are, or are not…but I’d assume they probably are. Just that it will take some time, which is why I’m watching the release notes for news. But if @Jbtb knows for certain, with inside knowledge, that they aren’t working on it, that’s something else altogether. 

I’m neither an Apple fanboy or Sonos fanboy…. However it’s pretty clear Sonos is lagging behind on this, you can’t make, nor should you continue to make excuses about it.
I purchased a complete Sonos surround system for my wife after receiving my new 15 Pro Max that has (4) Era 100’s, two used for whole home audio, an Arc soundbar, and a Gen 3 Sub. Pretty pricey little setup that I can’t perform any room correction on, that is unacceptable in 2023.

Why don’t I have the ability? Because I upgraded my phone??…. Again, this is ridiculous in 2023. 

Note: I’ve had ZERO app issues as far as functionality goes and that’s being a part of the beta program for a couple of years. Sonos needs to fire whomever is managing the app program…Completely unacceptable in today’s world…No company (in the app business) could survive such a complete and utter disaster. I know they’re not technically in the app business, but that’s the route they chose…

Hey Sonos, hot tip incoming…..If you can’t keep your App online, provide an alternative solution!!!! You’re in the audio business, you absolutely need to have room correction available for your customers!!!!! At all times!!!!

IIRC The iPhone 11 ability to TP Tune was broken by iOS 17, but it worked for most other iOS ‘past’ products (except of course those on the TP rejected list, such as ‘most versions’ of the iPad Pro 12.9”.)

The iPhone 15 models released alongside iOS 17 in September are no different to past iOS releases - it usually takes iOS engineers a couple of months to test them with every single type of Sonos configuration, which increases of course exponentially with each new Sonos product release too. 

The Sonos TP Tuning support page usually shows devices under test with the words ‘coming soon’, but even then the iOS device model may prove to be incompatible after months of testing and end up on the incompatible list. It’s a case of waiting to see what happens.

In my own use-case, I have three devices for TP tuning, an iPhone XR, or SE, or an iPad Pro (3rd gen) - but I would say I use them for Tuning about once or twice a year for a few minutes in each room. I also find the changes in most instances are very subtle - it’s sometimes can be difficult to hear a difference in some rooms of our Home (A/B testing) and in one, or two, cases I prefer having TP disabled.

Many Android users of course have done entirely without the feature and set the EQ settings to their own listening preference instead, or opted to borrow a mates iOS device for the ‘one-time’ event.

In my main listening area, I often adjust the EQ manually anyway to listen to different types of audio, TV & Music codecs, plus my own preference is to add a little extra treble in most cases anyway (that’s an age thing).

Personally, I think Sonos engineers try to get these things out the door as soon as practicable as they will see it as improving their products, but when you read the documentation (links below) and consider the different permutations of their products they have to test.. and all the new iDevices twice yearly, you can perhaps appreciate why these things can take a few months - I think there are at least 4 or 5 versions of iPhone 15 to test here too.

https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/trueplay-spectral-correction/

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/tune-your-sonos-speakers-with-trueplay

It’s just a case of perhaps being patient, but in my view, it’s possible to do a reasonable job of things by perhaps adjusting the available EQ settings yourself in the App anyway.

That’s all fine and dandy….

So it should be stated clearly on the Sonos packaging at the time of purchase that this home audio system may require professional calibration as Sonos can not guarantee the functionality of its own built in room correction software.

My apologies for beating a dead horse here, but room correction is a must for any home theater setup. These speakers are being marketed as such and should have as much. I don’t have any intention of returning my purchase as this is the wife friendly setup I’ve been looking for. However, if I bought this for myself, it would be on its way back already..Fortunately, if we really want a great sounding movie experience, we’ll head down to the Theater room that’s been calibrated frequently using Dirac Live software that works all of the time!!!!

That’s all fine and dandy….

So it should be stated clearly on the Sonos packaging at the time of purchase that this home audio system may require professional calibration as Sonos can not guarantee the functionality of its own built in software.

My apologies for beating a dead horse here, but room correction is a must for any home theater setup. These speakers are being marketed as such and should have as much. I don’t have any intention of returning my purchase as this is the wife friendly setup I’ve been looking for. However, if I bought this for myself, it would be on its way back already..

At the time your Sonos devices were launched/packaged, the iPhone 15 was certainly not out there - In August 2023 - just a snapshot in time - (with some documented exceptions) your Sonos products were able to be TP tuned with the available iPhones at that time - I think you should be grateful that Sonos will continue to support things so that your newly acquired iPhone 15 will work with Trueplay (er.. probably) and you will likely get the upgrade that will do that for free, thanks to Sonos’ continued support of their products.