Skip to main content
Answered

How to use sonos ray as a mac speaker?

• 15 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos ray and trying to use it as a speaker with a MacBook m2. I have tried airplay but It’s annoying as it loses connection every time so I got a cubilux usb-c to optical cable output adapter but still no luck. Any helpers out there please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Check this out:

https://en.community.sonos.com/sonos-products-as-pc-speakers-229137/using-sonos-as-pc-speakers-6856344?

Never tried it, Sonos really isn’t designed for hooking up to a computer, but I’m willing to troubleshoot. 

Have you tested this USB adapter to check that it is working? Do you know what format of signal is being put out by the Mac?

Because it’s ultimately an optical connection to the Sonos, the best it can accept is Dolby Digital, so you’re best staying with that, or stereo. In fact, at least until you can get it working, I’d limit the output to stereo. Once you get that working, you could start testing other codecs. 

Connected my Sonos Ray to my Mac Mini setup and had a pretty good, albeit simple, connection for playing audio from my computer using a USB-C to SPDIF adapter. However, after being forced to updated to the new Sonos app, my Sonos Ray no longer outputs any sound using this connection. None at all. One minute it worked, the next it didn’t, and none of my troubleshooting is working. Super disappointed. I’m going to try ordering another adapter, but the whole thing is highly suspicious and I’m definitely blaming the update (for now).

Any other similar problems? Or solutions for when the optical connection goes from solid to zilch?