How to optimize my setup

• 16 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you to all who reply, I appreciate your help.

Currently I have an Arc with a Sub 3 and a pair of Moves. They are two separate rooms. I have just now ordered a pair of Fives and a second Sub3. I would like to remove the two Moves, but keep them paired and now if possible with the Arc and Sub3 add in the two new Fives which will of course be a stereo pair and the second Sub3.

This I believe will allow me to have a surround system. Is there a best way forward to achieve this? Thank you for any and all suggestions. I

5 replies

The Moves can not be ‘bonded’ as surrounds with the Arc, which means they can’t be part of the same “room”. They can always be a separate room, and ‘grouped’. 

The way you’ve got it stated, you don’t have a surround set up. You’ve got essentially three rooms, one with the Arc and the Sub, one with the pair of the Moves, and one with the Fives and the second sub. 

You could potentially add the second Sub to the Arc’s room, and use those Fives as surrounds in that room…..but I wouldn’t recommend it, as they’re really ideal, especially with the sub, as their own room for music, as I think you’ve planned anyway. You’d be better off, IMHO, with a pair of Sonos One SLs as surrounds for that Arc. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you. I was aware that the Moves were not able to act as surrounds. I will keep them and find a use for them elsewhere in the house. I have the pair of Fives coming and the second Sub3 so I won’t be getting the One SLs, but that was a good suggestion though, thank you.

The vast majority of time the Arc with the two Sub3s and two Fives will be for music listening. I will use the TV through the Arc and system sometimes, but mostly not. This is more a music system that can do surround when needed, albeit rarely.

I like surround with two SUB’s and FIVES. As a test, you should try FIVE’s and a SUB for music. It’s a judgement call whether this sounds better on music than the ARC/FIVE/SUB’s arrangement.

Then it sounds like two rooms, one with the Arc, 2 Subs, and a pair of Fives, with the Moves in other rooms will work perfectly for you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you both for your input. I will see which configuration works best as music is the primary use scenario. I have had years with critical listening through full passive speaker systems and as my needs and preferences are changing I don’t need huge or perfectly accurate musical reproduction anymore. I like manageable and functional. 

I like the idea of the Arc as a pseudo centre channel when listening to music as it should help with a nice room filling system without the dominance of my current rig, a huge NAD M3, a Gustard X16 DAC, a pair of Monitor Audio PL200 supported by a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro subs. The move to a Sonos system will save quite a bit of room and still offer me very good musical reproduction.