Answered

How do I connect my Beam to my old Bush TV?

I can't figure out which cable(s) I need to connect my Beam to my Bush LED TV.

icon

Best answer by dleckie 21 April 2023, 17:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

No HDMI ARC, or optical output that I can see.

You’ll need to connect the TV COAX audio output to an optical converter, then use the SONOS optical to HDMI-ARC converter. Page 21 of the manual shows audio settings.

Or, buy a newer TV. 

Thanks for these replies. The funny thing is, the beam worked fine with my current TV (on a straight HDMI to HDMI connection) until last week when it suddenly stopped recognising the sound from the TV. I don't understand why that should be, assuming there hasn't been some software update to the Beam that has changed things.

Can anyone tell me what cable I need to connect the COAX audio output on the TV to an optical converter?

By “my current TV” do you mean this 40/233FDV that we are discussing?

Yes that’s right.  As I say, the Beam was working fine until last week so I’m looking to get it connected again.

Try disconnecting the HDMI cable and powering down BEAM and the TV for a couple minutes. After the units reboot, reconnect the HDMI cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s strange. The Bush does not do HDMI-ARC, which means it should not have worked with the TV…….

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can anyone tell me what cable I need to connect the COAX audio output on the TV to an optical converter?

You need a coax to optical converter, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Coaxial-Optical-Converter-Bi-Directional/dp/B085DJGT28/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FPFD3SIHU2RN&keywords=coax+to+spdif&qid=1682080879&sprefix=coax+to+spdif%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-3

and then take that spdif signal and use the adapter that came with the Beam.

Or get a new TV.

That’s strange. The Bush does not do HDMI-ARC, which means it should not have worked with the TV…….

Agree -- Unless, they forgot to mention the “unimportant” feature in those early days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Agree -- Unless, they forgot to mention the “unimportant” feature in those early days.

No mention in the manual of ARC, but it does have 3 HDMI ports, wonder if the OP accidentally changed which port was used and chose the wrong one?

Thanks controlav.  What does “OP” stand for?  And are you saying that if I tried plugging the Beam into a different HDMI port in the TV, that might solve the problem?

‘OP’ is Original Poster. 

dleckie,

What we are fussing about is that, given what is shown in the manual, the TV should not have been able to deliver audio as you had it connected. If there is an undocumented feature, you’ll need to experiment with option settings in order to enable the feature again.

I suggest that you contact the TV manufacturer and ask how to enable “HDMI-ARC”. Only one of the HDMI ports could potentially support the feature.