Sticky Answered

home cinema set up

• 23 November 2023
  • 27 replies

Badge

I have two Sonos play1 and Sonos boost ,is it possible to use them as part of a home cinema set up with a sound bar ,need one with e-ARC 

Thanks for any help 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 26 November 2023, 14:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

The Play:1s can be used as surround speakers with any of the current Sonos soundbars.  Both the Beam and the Arc support eArRC

Yes, the Two Play:1’s can be used as rear surround speakers with the Sonos Arc and Beam (gen2). Both those soundbars have HDMI-ARC/eARC connections for TV connection …and both can be used with the supplied Optical adapter for connection to a TV Optical port, but that’s just FYI.

Badge

That's good to know ,just got a new OLED and picture quality is stunning and I feel it deserves a sound bar set up ,would I need to use the boost ,also would I need a sub or would sound bar and play1 be enough bass,not wanting it booming 

The Boost can stay in situ, if you prefer ‘wired mode’, or you can try running all on your WiFi signal, that’s up-to you. Maybe this link will help you to decide…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

My own choice would definitely be to add a Sub, but see how things sound, you can always add that later.

Badge

I see the Sonos beam gen 2 is on offer at Currys £379 seems like a good price ,would this be ok for a living room HC set up ,it doesn't need to be massively powerful and would bee connected with 2x play 1 and eventually a sub 

I see the Sonos beam gen 2 is on offer at Currys £379 seems like a good price ,would this be ok for a living room HC set up ,it doesn't need to be massively powerful and would bee connected with 2x play 1 and eventually a sub 

Yes but for £20 more you can go here and get a free 6 year warranty too…

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/sonos-beam

It can pay to shop around and select what’s perhaps important to you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve been using a Beam (Gen 1) with One SL’s and a Sub for five years now. A Beam (Gen 2) would ad Atmos. For the last four years it’s being used with a 65” Samsung. Also using a Boost.

Badge

So I have pulled the trigger and ordered the beam gen 2 and sub mini in white to go with my two play1''s

For anyone interested if you order from very using code VKEYB it is 12 months interest free to pay off what you want and after the first month you get 10% back refunded on to your account and you can pay it off in full , so I'm paying  £644, alternatively if you don't have a very account ,if you open one you get 20% off your first purchase which would make it £572.80.

So thinking about set up ,I would like to use my Sonos boost as part of the set up as my WiFi in the living only gets about 40mb speed,so I'd rather it was on its own network .

Am I correct in thinking at least one of the play 1 has be connected to the boost to allows HC set up .Beam will be hdmi 2:1 to e-ARC on my G3 TV and the rest will be wireless connections

Any advice on the best way to set this up would great 

No need to connect any device to the BOOST, it generates the SonosNet signal as its primary function. Note that the newer series of Sonos speakers don’t connect to a SonosNet signal, however. 

I’m not sure what HC means.

Remember, surround speakers and the Sub, if it exists, connect in a home theater room to the soundbar in use (your Beam) and not SonosNet. The Beam itself, would connect to SonosNet, however. 

Badge

HC is home cinema.

I thought I read somewhere that the beam 2 would not connect to boost and it had to be one of the surround speakers that connects to it .I want to use the boost so it's running on its own network and not degrading the network for the TV or others using phones tablets etc .

No, the Beam would be connecting to the signal from the BOOST, the surrounds would connect to a hidden 5Ghz signal generated by the Beam (not part of SonosNet). But that’s just network topology that I don’t think you need to worry about. Set up your Beam and surrounds following the prompts in the controller, and you’ll be fine. 

Badge

Reading this it says one of your speakers has to be wired to the router( boost) I think my beam would have to be connected to the boost to have its own Sonos WiFi network 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

Home theater

Sonos products that are used as home theater surrounds or subwoofers are unable to act as the first-wired product for the dedicated Sonos wireless network.

Reading this it says one of your speakers has to be wired to the router( boost) I think my beam would have to be connected to the boost to have its own Sonos WiFi network 

Home theater

Sonos products that are used as home theater surrounds or subwoofers are unable to act as the first-wired product for the dedicated Sonos wireless network.

You only need wire your Boost to the router - if someone did not have a Boost, then they can use a Speaker in its place such as a Sonos One, Five etc. The wired device (if it is a speaker in place of a Boost) should not be a Home Theatre Surround, or Sub. 

Anyhow, a Boost is not a router, it is a bridge from your local network to the SonosNet network. It is advisable to set such a wired product at least one metre away from the router, or other wireless AP.

It’s helpful to set the routers 2.4Ghz band to a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel - 1, 6 or 11 with a channel-width of 20Mhz only and to set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App network settings to a completely different channel. 

There are a few other things you can do too, but just see how that goes when setting up your Sonos HC.

Badge

Thanks ,the boost will be well away from the main router ,my house is hardwired and my main router is upstairs and the boost will connect to it via ethernet socket in the living room ,I have a few WiFi only devices in the living room which can be a drain on the wifi network especially when kids are on phones and iPads etc as well,so that's the main reason for wanting to use the boost.

Thanks again for the help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Given the choice of wiring the Boost or the Beam, I’d wire the Bean and leave the Boost in my spares bin. (where my Boost is)

Badge

Given the choice of wiring the Boost or the Beam, I’d wire the Bean and leave the Boost in my spares bin. (where my Boost is)

So does this mean if I connect beam gen 2 to my router via ethernet,it will provide a Sonos wifi network like the boost would so as not to all work over my home WiFi  network ,if so this would be much better and I can certainly do this .Sorry for all the question ,just want keep as much bandwidth on my own WiFi as possible 

Thanks again 

Yes. Just don’t turn off the radio/wifi on your Beam. It will act as a BOOST and all your other Sonos speakers should connect to it via SonosNet (except those Sonos devices that don’t use SonosNet) 

Badge

Yes. Just don’t turn off the radio/wifi on your Beam. It will act as a BOOST and all your other Sonos speakers should connect to it via SonosNet (except those Sonos devices that don’t use SonosNet) 

Thats good to know ,the play 1s can use Sonos net so this make it much easier and one less piece of kit taking up a socket and my spare ethernet port 

Yes, the PLAY:1s use SonosNet, except when connected to your Beam as surrounds. When used in that format, they still don’t use your WiFi, but connect directly to your Beam on a different path than SonosNet. 

I have several PLAY:1s and Sonos Ones connected to SonosNet. 

Badge

So the beam arrived ,sub not here for another couple of days .Set the beam up and tried adding my play 1s it kept failing ,think it was a issue with my phone ,so tried the wife's phone ,had to add the play ones to the new system first then add them as surrounds ,all good so far but definitely missing more bass for my liking.The beam did set up its own network  that the play 1s connected too and also  Sonos beam media server  on the TV ,now just waiting for the sub .

Badge

So my sub mini arrived and full system set up now ,impressed so far packs more than enough punch for my living room

Just would like to check I have My LGG3 TV set up correctly

In sound I have it set HDMI( arc) device 

In advance setting

I have the following 

DTV audio setting.....  auto

Match screen and sound ....hdmi ARC device delay

Digital sound output....  Auto

e ARC support.... on 

Thanks again for the help 

Badge

I have a LGG3 TV 
When I switch my TV on in the mornings I don't get any sound unless I go into setting and select TV speaker .I don't always want to use my sound bar set up and if I then switch the soundbar on it the TV auto switches to it ,if I switch sound bar off it auto switches back to TV speaker .
I have a played around with setting but can't seem to get it to default to TV speaker after being powered off then back on, I think it's definitely a TV settings issue but just hoping some one has experience of this 
Thanks for any help

I have a LGG3 TV 
When I switch my TV on in the mornings I don't get any sound unless I go into setting and select TV speaker .I don't always want to use my sound bar set up and if I then switch the soundbar on it the TV auto switches to it ,if I switch sound bar off it auto switches back to TV speaker .
I have a played around with setting but can't seem to get it to default to TV speaker after being powered off then back on, I think it's definitely a TV settings issue but just hoping some one has experience of this 
Thanks for any help

If not tried already, maybe try disabling "TV autoplay" in the Sonos App soundbar room settings.

Badge

I have a LGG3 TV 
Thanks for any help

If not tried already, maybe try disabling "TV autoplay" in the Sonos App soundbar room settings.

Thanks that seems to have fix the problem and the TV now defaults to TV sound when switched on ,however it has created a different problem ,now when the TV is on and switch the soundbar ,the TV switches over to the sound bar ,but the volume is zero every time and I then have to turn the sound bar up 

Thanks that seems to have fix the problem and the TV now defaults to TV sound when switched on ,however it has created a different problem ,now when the TV is on and switch the soundbar ,the TV switches over to the sound bar ,but the volume is zero every time and I then have to turn the sound bar up 

Perhaps see if selecting the ‘TV icon’ in the Sonos App (at the bottom of the Browse/Music Services Tab) will resolve the issue for you. See screenshot attached.

Also if you use Alexa or Sonos Voice Control, you can restore TV sound with this voice instruction…

“Hey Sonos, switch to TV Mode on Living Room” … where the Living Room is the name of your Soundbar room in the Sonos App.

Or this, if using Alexa…

“Alexa, switch to TV Mode on Living Room"