Skip to main content

Getting another Play:5 Gen 1 to pair with projector & Apple TV 4k + Airport Express (Aiplay 2) vs Sonos 5.1

• 8 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Already have a Sonos Play:5 Gen 1  which I’m now using with my newly acquired projector. The question I’m struggling with now is whether to get another Play:5 Gen 1 (yes I know it’s 2023) rather than an altogether new Sonos 5.1 setup that I simply don’t have the bugdet for at the mo.

It’s a real shame that the Play:5 Gen 1 can’t be used as surround speakers which would have been ideal, but given that my projector is mounted behind my sofa connected to an Apple TV 4k which allows wireless connection to speakers over WiFi using a separte Apple Airport Express (Airplay 2) devide I already own i.e. plugged into Play:5 Gen 1 via 3.5mm I feel like another inexpensive Play:5 Gen 1 would most likely be the best way to go for me at present, especially since I also tend to listen to music now and again.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience using 2 x Play:5 Gen 1 (grouped) hooked up to a projector or TV and how it compares to a Sonos 5.1 setup; is a Sonos 5.1 setup really that much better overall for watching movies on a projector or would two Play:5 Gen 1 in a medium size room tuned with Trueplay give the 5.1 a run for the money?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @vickosis 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t say that I’ve used a pair of Play:5s with a projector, but I would say that they are somewhat incomparable with a 5.1 surround system - no amount of speaker “grunt” is going to duplicate having speakers behind you. At the same time, they will produce more of that “grunt” than a Ray or Beam (and perhaps the Arc too), and with better bass (unless you get a Sub, of course).

There are often issues with using projectors with the surround systems we offer, however, as many projectors do not provide an HDMI-ARC connection, and when they do, they are often far away from the location where you want a soundbar to be. Depending on your projector, this may be a deciding factor for you.

I would assume a Play;5 gen 1 (if you can find one) will be cheaper than a soundbar and surrounds speakers, so if the budget is a concern then the second Play:5 would be your answer. We do now provide facilities to pay for speakers over a period of time directly on the store website - should that be of help to you - which may be worth looking into.

Ultimately, it comes down to surround sound, and how important it is to you to have it. The added immersion is, for some, an important factor in the home cinema experience. If you are not used to it, however, perhaps you won’t miss it.

I hope this helps.

Edit: A “proper” Home Theatre solution would also reduce lipsync issues.

Hi @Corry P

Actually I used to have a 5:1 system previously (Sony TV/AV & Q Accustic Soundbar/sub) years ago, so I’ve had a tast of it, but I just didn’t watch TV so when my mum’s TV packed in I gifted her my Sony TV.

The projector is a recent addition as I was getting fed up of using my Laptop and I wanted something to use for movie  nights. It’s a rather inexpensive projector but suprisingly it packs quite some punch for such a fairly entry level bit of kit. The room I’m using is not a dedicated living space but a hybrid space that transforms into a work space, which is another reason I’ve held back from investing in a soundbar. Oh and your comment about “grunt” got me thinking that I may have to change the placement of my Play:5 to act as a soundbar replacement rather than having them in a corner to the side of my sofa.

A Sonos soundbar/sub/rears certainly is a tempting prospect at some point, but for now I will probably stick with 2x Play:5 Gen. I’m also tempted by the newer Sonos products featuring Dolby Atmos / spacial audio like Era 300 and the newer soundbars, but this might be something for when I move into a new place with a bigger living space and eventually upgrade my projector, which sadly doesn’t support HDMI-ARC. Mind you I’m likely to upgrade in stages and a pair of Era 300 to replace my Play:5 Gen 1 could very well be the first step; these could then serve as rears down the road.

Good to know you have a pay over time offering which I will take a peak at.

Thanks for your response 😊