Skip to main content
Answered

getting 7.1 from rear in-ceiling speakers with sonos Arc

• 24 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone. Sonos Nubie here. So I’ve looked around and I can’t seem to find a good and clear answer to my problem/question. I have a new Sonos ARC sound bar, audiosouce powered sub, and I  also have 4 in-ceiling speakers I use as surround rears and rears. These 4 speakers are powered by an aging Yamaha rx-v671 in my last setup. Is it possible to  use the Sonos arc as my LCR and power the 4 rear speakers with my Yamaha to achieve 7.1 in the Sonos environment? As well as the sub?  What Sonos devices would I need? Thank you in advance and happy holidays!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

When using a Sonos Arc, you must use a Sonos subwoofer. And if you want a 7.1 system with the Arc, you must use a pair of Era 300s as surrounds. You cannot use the Yamaha receiver and third-party subwoofer with the Arc.

Thanks for the reply.. ok so if I get a Sonos sub. can I still connect my Yamaha amp powering the 4 rear speakers with a Sonos connect? Or just make it a 5.1. Left rear/right rear?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, you can’t. The Connect (superseded by the Port) cannot be used for surround, let alone Atmos. There’s no way you can use the Pioneer with Sonos. You could replace the Pioneer by a Sonos Amp, and ad that to an Arc. You will have Atmos from the Arc, but rear surround from the ceiling speakers (the Amp only does two channels, so the two sets of speakers would play the same two channels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could feed your AVR with a Port for music and group the Port/AVR with your Arc for (slightly delayed) TV audio.

You will probably not like the TV sound but the music will be great.