Answered

Gen3 Sub (A202) low hum and tick noise

• 17 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello!  I’m hoping someone on the forums here can help me determine if what I’m experiencing with my new sub is within the parameters of being normal or if I have an issue that I need to escalate to Sonos support. 

I got my sub on 2/12/2022 and immediately noticed a very low/faint hum and when I was down next to it tucking some desk wires into my tray, I heard a light tick, tick, tick, tick noise.  I have provided a video where I stick my phone right up to the hole and you can clearly hear both the hum and the tick.  Here are the specifics about the environment and t-shooting steps I’ve taken:

-- Sub is paired with two play:1’s in a stereo pair in my office.  Will be generally used in conjunction with a Port and a CD player with occasional streaming via Amazon/Spotify/Pandora but mostly CDs via Port. 

-- Windows app and iOS app being used to control (mostly Windows app in office)

-- I get the same thing if I carry the sub downstairs and pair it with my new Five in the living room or leave it unpaired.

-- Yes, there IS a wireless router in my office.  However, my living room is the furthest away from the router that I can get in the house.  Sometimes I can hardly get a wifi signal down there.  Still hums/ticks.

-- Plugged into a surge protector or straight into the wall (tried multiple outlets), same behavior.

-- Used a different power cord, same thing

-- Factory reset of the sub using steps found in the forums here, same thing.  Hum is present as soon as it gets power, ticking doesn’t start until it’s set up in the app though.

-- Seems to hum slightly louder when I click “Play” on my line-in component (port) which is somewhat to be expected.  As soon as I click “Play” (even with the CD player off), there’s an audible “bump” and then the humming is a bit louder.  It’s similar when selecting streaming audio, but the music starts and then  you can’t hear that the humming is louder.

-- Hardwired the sub to the wifi router and in the app “Disable wifi” under sub.  Humming persists, TICKING STOPS.  Wifi-related?  

Perhaps this is a non-issue and they all behave this way.  I’m admittedly not horribly familiar with higher end audio components and what to expect.  I watched one or two videos I found and what I’m experiencing is not anywhere near as audible as what I’ve seen others reporting.  That’s why I’m wondering where it is on the spectrum of normalcy.  I can’t hear any ticking until I stick my head right next to it which I don’t ever intend on doing.  I do hear the humming from my desk if I listen real close, but I’m only about 3ft away from the sub (hard floors and a stand up desk over top).  Beyond a little annoyance over the hum, I’m mostly concerned about longevity of the product.  I have 8 or so Play:1’s/One’s, a Five, a port, and this Sub.  The Sub obviously being my biggest expense and honestly one of my favorite additions thus far…. so I really don’t want it to have any kind of issue moving forward.

I did read all of the threads I could find on here (and reddit for that matter).  Still could not draw a conclusion.  Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 February 2022, 01:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Does the noise track the Volume or Mute controls?

The hum that you are hearing at the instant of applying power is caused by SUB’s power supply because the amplifier is not yet ready to go. This Hum is a characteristic of virtually every appliance that plugs into the power grid. Determining if this noise is “excessive” or not is a tricky value judgement. You can probably guess by my handle (buzz -- get it) that I am particularly anal about such noises. I can be a pain about this sort of thing and am not always appreciated in listening juries. All I can say is that my SUB is not an issue for me. The audibility of such noise depends on the listener’s sensitivity, room background noise, placement in the room, and room acoustics. Unfortunately, once you have heard such a noise it will not go away because you’ll focus on it. That said, I don’t think that it should be audible at normal listening levels and locations.

The ‘ticks’ can have multiple origins. Some can come over the power line and others can come wirelessly or be introduced through connected devices, such as your CD player. If the ticks are introduced by a CD player or turntable, their level will usually track the Volume and Mute functions. It is also very easy to disconnect the CD player from the system to prove or disprove CD player origin. It is possible that the ticks are entering through the power line. Typically, the magnitude of power line induced ticks will vary from outlet to outlet, might also vary with orientation of the power plug in its outlet, or operation of another device, such as a large appliance. High quality surge suppressors can help remove power line delivered clicks. Very neatly bundling the power cord might have an effect. Nearby radio transmitters such as amateur radio, ratio stations, and wireless kit (such as WiFi connected items). can also introduce clicks. The physical location and orientation of SUB may effect this sort of tick.

And, of course, we cannot rule out some sort of hardware fault.

This is a tricky sort of issue to track down. Don’t assume that the issue must be [...] or cannot be [...] or you’ll likely be blindsided.

Finally, don’t factory reset anything without further consult because factory reset destroys some diagnostic data.

Does the noise track the Volume or Mute controls?

The hum that you are hearing at the instant of applying power is caused by SUB’s power supply because the amplifier is not yet ready to go. This Hum is a characteristic of virtually every appliance that plugs into the power grid. Determining if this noise is “excessive” or not is a tricky value judgement. You can probably guess by my handle (buzz -- get it) that I am particularly anal about such noises. I can be a pain about this sort of thing and am not always appreciated in listening juries. All I can say is that my SUB is not an issue for me. The audibility of such noise depends on the listener’s sensitivity, room background noise, placement in the room, and room acoustics. Unfortunately, once you have heard such a noise it will not go away because you’ll focus on it. That said, I don’t think that it should be audible at normal listening levels and locations.

The ‘ticks’ can have multiple origins. Some can come over the power line and others can come wirelessly or be introduced through connected devices, such as your CD player. If the ticks are introduced by a CD player or turntable, their level will usually track the Volume and Mute functions. It is also very easy to disconnect the CD player from the system to prove or disprove CD player origin. It is possible that the ticks are entering through the power line. Typically, the magnitude of power line induced ticks will vary from outlet to outlet, might also vary with orientation of the power plug in its outlet, or operation of another device, such as a large appliance. High quality surge suppressors can help remove power line delivered clicks. Very neatly bundling the power cord might have an effect. Nearby radio transmitters such as amateur radio, ratio stations, and wireless kit (such as WiFi connected items). can also introduce clicks. The physical location and orientation of SUB may effect this sort of tick.

And, of course, we cannot rule out some sort of hardware fault.

This is a tricky sort of issue to track down. Don’t assume that the issue must be [...] or cannot be [...] or you’ll likely be blindsided.

Finally, don’t factory reset anything without further consult because factory reset destroys some diagnostic data.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!  None of the noises track with the volume control.  If I’m understanding you correctly, I think you are saying that a light hum can be “normal” for any electronic device.  Neither the hum nor the tick is audible when I’m listening to music.  Heck, I can hardly hear it when I’m sitting at my desk in silence (3ft. away), but you are correct -- the hard floor and the stand up desk sure aren’t helping to suppress any light noises (quite the opposite).  

I do think that when I choose component (Line in / Port) I do hear a light “bump” or “blip” from the sub which is, to some extent, expected.  The hum gets slightly louder.  That’s probably OK… 

I’m nearly convinced that the tick, tick, tick, tick has to do with a wifi component.  When I hard wired the sub directly to my router, I no longer heard the tick tick tick.  Just disabling wifi on the sub within the app makes the tick cease.  That has me thinking it has to do with wifi, but is that “OK” in terms of longevity of the component?  That’s really my main concern.  It took me quite a while to pull the trigger on a sub purchase and I want to make sure it’s to the same build quality and will last me as long as my OG Play:1’s that have served me so very well! 

Disabling SUB’s WiFi is not a great long term idea.

Do you have any leftovers from the accessories bag of an older TV? Specifically, I’m looking for a “ferrite bead”. This would be a small device designed to snap around a power cord. If you have a ferrite bead, snap it around SUB’s power cord near the SUB end. It’s rare, but the “bead” might actually be a doughnut shaped device. If this is the case, pass SUB’s power cord through the hole and wrap through again if possible. Ferrite beads attenuate radio signals that might be riding the power cord.

I’m not overly concerned with a quiet “bump” but they annoy me. This is probably caused by a slight voltage offset in the CD player.

Are you sure that the slightly louder hum and the “blip” from PORT don’t track the Volume and Mute?

Does PORT or the CD player have any copper path to a cable box or TV? Is anything else connected to PORT?

From my chair I cannot be positive that there is nothing wrong with SUB, this would be a borderline case. While I would be unhappy, another might ask “what click, what hum?”. Keep SUB on a short leash and watch for any changes in behavior. Submit a diagnostic now and keep track of the confirmation number. Later, if you experience an odd event, submit another diagnostic within about 10 minutes of the event, then contact support. You could contact support now. I have no idea what their response might be. I don’t know where you purchased SUB, there may be some sort of return/exchange period.

Disabling SUB’s WiFi is not a great long term idea.

Do you have any leftovers from the accessories bag of an older TV? Specifically, I’m looking for a “ferrite bead”. This would be a small device designed to snap around a power cord. If you have a ferrite bead, snap it around SUB’s power cord near the SUB end. It’s rare, but the “bead” might actually be a doughnut shaped device. If this is the case, pass SUB’s power cord through the hole and wrap through again if possible. Ferrite beads attenuate radio signals that might be riding the power cord.

I’m not overly concerned with a quiet “bump” but they annoy me. This is probably caused by a slight voltage offset in the CD player.

Are you sure that the slightly louder hum and the “blip” from PORT don’t track the Volume and Mute?

Does PORT or the CD player have any copper path to a cable box or TV? Is anything else connected to PORT?

From my chair I cannot be positive that there is nothing wrong with SUB, this would be a borderline case. While I would be unhappy, another might ask “what click, what hum?”. Keep SUB on a short leash and watch for any changes in behavior. Submit a diagnostic now and keep track of the confirmation number. Later, if you experience an odd event, submit another diagnostic within about 10 minutes of the event, then contact support. You could contact support now. I have no idea what their response might be. I don’t know where you purchased SUB, there may be some sort of return/exchange period.

Ya know, I do recall seeing some of those ferrite bead things recently.  I believe when I was going through some stuff that was my dads.  

That blip in sound may track with volume, I’m not sure… I’ll have to do more testing.  There is nothing going to a TV and nothing else connected to the Port besides my old Teac AD500.  

I will pursue a diagnostic as I did purchase directly from Sonos.

I really appreciate the feedback and advice!