Answered

Full wired Sonos S2 + VLan

• 30 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello folks!

I've recently rebuilt my home on which I have a brand new Sonos system composed of:

• Sonos Arc + Sub + Amp + Architectural Speakers for Surround at the TV room
  • Sonos Amp + Architectural Speakers on each of the other rooms

All the Amps will be rack mounted on the same rack with the other network and home equipment. The Amps and the Arc are wired to the core switch (Ubiquiti Unifi Switch Pro 48P).

According to the docs, if I plug one of the devices on the ethernet, the other devices are going to be connect to this wired one over a private/dedicated wifi network created by the wired one.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions for this scenario:

1. Is there a way to make sure this wifi network isn't created and ALL Sonos devices use the wires since they are all connected thru the switch?
  2. All my IoT devices are under a dedicated subnet/VLan. I want to put all the speakers under this subnet/VLan. Can someone tell me which exactly ports are used by the speakers to:
    1. Speakers local communication;
    2. Sonos S2 apps (mobile and PC) communication with the speakers;
    3. Speakers to internet (if any);

The reason for that, is to make sure the required traffic to make the Sonos S2 system to work isn't blocked by the firewall (Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro) from/to that subnet/VLan which the devices are.

I appreciate any thoughts about this scenario.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by buzz 30 May 2021, 09:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Ports used. If you are using Ubiquiti managed switches be sure to set them for STP, not RSTP.

I recommend wiring the AMP’s to a network switch. For the wired AMP’s you may want to disable their radios, but take care with this option, else you’ll strand a wireless SUB. I recommend keeping one AMP’s radio active.

Thanks for the reply @buzz 

I recommend wiring the AMP’s to a network switch. For the wired AMP’s you may want to disable their radios, but take care with this option, else you’ll strand a wireless SUB. I recommend keeping one AMP’s radio active.

As I mentioned, all the devices will have an ethernet wire, including the Sub. Do I still have to have the radio active? I would like to not have any extra radio enabled at all and all the communication (S2 App <> Speakers and Speaker <> Speaker) to happen thru the wires that go thru the switch on its own VLan/Subnet.

Thank you!

You’ll probably be OK. I recommend fully setting up the system before you disable the radios.