Era 300s surrounds play outside instead of inside channel

• 7 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

just ran various 5.1 and 7.1 tests and the outside channels are firing when sound is supposed to come from the rear left or right. Meanwhile the inside channels are firing for sounds supposed to come from side left / right. Shouldn’t this be the other way around, especially with the supposed placement facing straight towards the wall where the TV is placed? My thoughts were that the side left / right would be reflected from the wall after being fired from the 300s outside channel. I saw somebody on Reddit mentioning that repairing as surrounds fixed this issue but it doesn’t on my end. 

Any ideas how to fix this? I assume this is also the reason why some people have a subpar experience with the 300s as surrounds. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The outside-firing drivers play the side surround channels and the inside-firing drivers play the rear surround channels. If your speakers are playing the opposite, they are probably set up incorrectly. Remove and re-add them as surrounds and make sure they are assigned correctly.

I did that again and I am running a 7.1 sound test and the sound clearly comes from the outside tweeter for rear surround and from the inside tweeter for the side left / right. The Eras are correctly set up as left and right. I tried with and without trueplay and I am getting the same result. 

I did that again and I am running a 7.1 sound test and the sound clearly comes from the outside tweeter for rear surround and from the inside tweeter for the side left / right. The Eras are correctly set up as left and right. I tried with and without trueplay and I am getting the same result. 

Just to double check; left and right surrounds positions are relative to the viewing screen.  So the left is on your your left as you face the screen, not as you face the speakers speakers themselves.  Same with the right. 

Yes, correct.