Answered

Era 300 and acoustical tile ceilings

• 17 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I don’t know if this question has been asked yet, so here goes. I am using 2 Era 300s as surrounds in a 7.2.4 system used exclusively for home theatre. The 300s are behind the couch, mounted right-side up, 26 inches from an acoustical tile ceiling.  The question is, since the acoustical ceiling is absorbing much of the upward-firing sound, would it not be better to raise the 300s a bit and mount them upside down?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 July 2023, 10:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Remy de Fromage 

Thanks for your post!

Yes, probably.

Please be aware, however, that TruePlay Tuning does not yet support inverted Era 300s so we don’t currently recommend it, but several users have already reported using Era 300s in an inverted orientation without issue.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thank you. Because TruePlay Tuning is not supported, I’ll wait to raise the speakers until the day of TruePlay support arrives. 

I have the same ‘issue’.

My accoustical ceiling doesn’t bounce back the height channels of the Era 300 (and the Arc of course).

what could be a good solution for this?

Is there perhaps some kind of ceiling mount available?

I have the same ‘issue’.

My accoustical ceiling doesn’t bounce back the height channels of the Era 300 (and the Arc of course).

what could be a good solution for this?

Solution for Era 300 has already been provided. 

As far as the Arc, I’m not sure there is a good solution.  Is it possible to put replace the ceiling or put some sort of reflective panels or coating on the ceiling?  I doubt that can be done in a cost effective or aesthetically pleasing way.  Depending on size of the room, a Beam Gen 2 may be a better option since it does not have upfiring height channels, it simulates the height channels.   

Or you could just go without atmos content either by changing settings on TV or source to block atmos content if possible, or switching to a optical connection rather than HDMI-ARC, since optical cannot carry an atmos signal.  And obviously, you can’t utilize an Era 300 well in this configuration.

If you really want atmos, then perhaps a different system that uses ceiling speakers for atmos is the better solution for you.