Answered

eArc shuts off when you start system and lower sound quickly. It jumps to TV output!

• 21 February 2024
  • 3 replies

The only way to reset the sound is to unplug Arc and TV, or as I do as my 75 in is mounted high on the wall, I go to the circuit breaker and turn on/off.

i contacted both Sonos and Samsung. Sonos last week said their software worked fine and I should contact Samsung. Samsung admitted last week that there is a glitch, put me on hold and went into my tv and fixed it.

It happened again yesterday so I went to Samsung. He suggested that he would reset the tv (like a brand new tv!!) I said yes only to find out that I had to reinstall all apps, sound bar etc. I was PEEVED! Plus afterward the eArc still did not work.

I poured myself a scotch, went down to the fuse box and turn the circuit on and off. Arrived upstairs and the eArc worked.

Then early this morning, I turned the system on and kept hitting the lower volume button so as not to wake my wife. Sure enough the sound went to TV Output.

I phoned Sonos and guess what, this morning he admitted THAT THEY KNOW THERE IS THIS GLITCH.

I am back up and running now!

But I poked the bear this afternoon and got burned. Curiosity of what the glitch was prompted me to call. A young girl named Tri???? took the call. She had all my records in front of her and started me off as if this wasn't my first rodeo. After listening and following her instructions I realized she had no clue as to the problem. I heard at least 20 people in the background and wanted to be transferred to a more senior tech. After four 5 minute holds there was nobody. I said that I didn’t believe her and that I would contact Patrick Spence, Sonos President.

You have great products and software but please don’t insult your customers.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 February 2024, 00:46

View original

3 replies

Do you have easy access to the HDMI cable at the back of ARC? If so, I recommend that you remove the HDMI cable from ARC, then power down the TV and ARC for at least two minutes. After the TV and ARC have restarted, then connect the HDMI.

I don’t know if the above will completely resolve your issue, but it’s worth a try. Also, inserting a “CEC blocker” might improve the situation. This will require that you use IR control for ARC Volume, but this is usually transparent to the user once setup.

Userlevel 7

Hi

First I’m sorry you are having the issues outlined in your post. However, again judging from your post it appears to be a Samsung issue.

Regarding the Sonos person indicating that they know there is a glitch doesn’t necessarily indicate that Sonos is at fault. What it does indicate is that “Sonos is aware of an issue involving certain Samsung TV’s and their implementation of CEC”. It’s all in how you interpret that person’s statement.

I will say this…the majority of the complaints I read in this forum regarding eARC/CEC issues involve Samsung TV’s. I have three (3) LG sets all using eARC with a Sonos Arc with no connection issues.

IMHO the bear you need to keep poking is Samsung 😊

For what it is worth, when @buzz says ‘power down’, the intention is not to turn off the TV with the remote, or even the power button on the TV itself. What is meant is to force the TV to reload the OS, which means unplugging it from the wall. When you use the remote, or power button on the TV set, it just goes into standby mode, but doesn’t force a reload of the OS.