Dts Or Dolby Digital

• 11 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi I own a Beam 1 Gen. + Sub Mini I wanted a technical opinion. When a file or something I'm watching on TV supports both DTS and Dolby Digital what is better to use? I tried but I don't notice a particular difference, also because since I have to fiddle with the remote control in various menus, the transition is not immediate. Thank you and see you thanks in advance for the help.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

It’s difficult to say without knowing exactly what the source is. But if it sounds the same to you, then choose either option.

Userlevel 7

Are you using a Samsung TV and is the option for DTS labelled DTS Neo 2.5?

It’s difficult to say without knowing exactly what the source is. But if it sounds the same to you, then choose either option.

The sources are some modern bluray or .mkv files.

Are you using a Samsung TV and is the option for DTS labelled DTS Neo 2.5?

I use a Samsung 4K TV purchased in 2015. No the option is DTS, DTS Neo 2.5 is there but not selectable and I know it would be lower because it is emulated.

Thanks both for the reply.

Userlevel 7

@Giovypa83 If the source is a Blu-ray disc or MKV file, both audio tracks are usually not available. It’s one or the other. If the Blu-ray offers both options, choose the audio track that sounds the best to your ears.

This is precisely the problem, since to make the change between DTS and Dolby I have to fiddle with two menus, the change is not immediate but I lose 5-10 seconds and I can't understand well, because if there is a difference it is minimal. I thought there was a technical reason for preferring one or the other.