Answered

Difference between Eq Bass and Sub level settings

• 11 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have a new setup with a Beam Gen 2 + Sub Mini + 2 Ones. I've made trueplay calibration but I have a doubt with some settings.

I feel that the Beam calibration is very flat, for example when you watch a TV program like news, sports, etc. Sounds very flat and tiny. So I'm thinking of increasing the bass but no the subwoofer bass, because on the films is very good.

Which is the difference between the equalizer bass slider and the Sub level slider?

I've tried to increase the eq bass level (to increase the mediums) and affects also to the Sub Mini sound increasing the bass.

Those settings affects to different frequencies?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by buzz 11 January 2023, 22:22

View original

7 replies

There is an overlap. The bass control effects frequencies from just below the midrange and lower. The SUB control effects only frequencies handled by SUB. These tend to be below 100Hz.

Everyone’s idea of the ‘proper’ amount of bass is different. Only you know what sounds “best” (for you). I know a fellow who has bass, treble, and SUB set at maximum and feels that his system sounds great. I’m so glad that I don’t spend time at that house.

Badge +2

There is an overlap. The bass control effects frequencies from just below the midrange and lower. The SUB control effects only frequencies handled by SUB. These tend to be below 100Hz.

Everyone’s idea of the ‘proper’ amount of bass is different. Only you know what sounds “best” (for you). I know a fellow who has bass, treble, and SUB set at maximum and feels that his system sounds great. I’m so glad that I don’t spend time at that house.

Thanks for the answer. After trueplay, do you have the settings as default?

Trueplay adjusts equalization in an attempt to make the system room neutral. There is no guarantee that you will enjoy “room neutral” -- or that the room can be neutralized. If you go to a restaurant, you’ll see people piling on the condiments. This could be interpreted as proof that the chief is incompetent or the person has a Neandertal sense of taste. And, of course, both could be true.

Adjust the sound to your taste. Someone here could potentially steer you to a productive path if you can express what is wrong, but we cannot tell you what sounds “best”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Adjust the sound to your taste. Someone here could potentially steer you to a productive path if you can express what is wrong, but we cannot tell you what sounds “best”.

Just to check: you have the Beam/Sub/Ones bonded as a single room? 

It’s your system, in your house. What you like is the best sound you can get. Let your ears decide the settings. 

Badge +2

Just to check: you have the Beam/Sub/Ones bonded as a single room? 

It’s your system, in your house. What you like is the best sound you can get. Let your ears decide the settings. 

Yes, I've created a new room, added all new devices, put together and done trueplay.

I will make some testing, increasing the eq bass and reducing the sub bass.

Badge +2

One doubt, is equivalent increase the Eq Bass to +2 to increase the Sub bass to +2?

No, they are not equivalent because the SUB level control and the equalizer operate in separate frequency bands.