Answered

Connecting turntable to home theatre

• 4 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

Am contemplating upgrading to a Sonos home theatre set up. The plan is to get a Beam and two Era100s.

I have a turntable with built in preamp and want to connect to the system. I’ve seen that I can connect to an Era100 with line-in but that the Era100 cannot be used as part of the home theatre set up.

Its unclear if this is permanently or does it mean it switches when the source changes?

Ideally, I would like the home theatre set up to link to phone/tv etc most of the time but when I use the turntable, the whole set up will switch to play from that source (via line in). Is this possible?

Hope that makes sense, all help appreciated.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 4 April 2023, 20:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

When the Era 100 is being used as a surround speaker in a Sonos home theater setup, it disables the line-in feature.

If you want to connect your turntable, you need to add another Era 100 that is separate from the Beam/Era 100s home theater setup or add another Sonos device with line-in like a Port, Era 300, or Five.

Thanks for your swift reply.

Just to clarify, if I added an additional device (eg a Port), would this then allow the turntable to connect to the rest of the home theatre set up (Beam/Era100s) via this device? At least when its not in use by the  phone or tv?

Sorry I’m not familiar with the Sonos system and want to make sure I understand before buying.

Thanks for your swift reply.

Just to clarify, if I added an additional device (eg a Port), would this then allow the turntable to connect to the rest of the home theatre set up (Beam/Era100s) via this device? At least when its not in use by the  phone or tv?

Sorry I’m not familiar with the Sonos system and want to make sure I understand before buying.

Yes, you are correct.  Adding an additional device would be a second Sonos room in your Sonos system.  That second room can play together or separately with your home theatre room.

Thanks all, very helpful

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Or, of course, use a third Era or an additional stereo pair of them. Set that up as an additional room. You can then play the turntable as a source in just that additional room, or in just the home theatre room, or both rooms together with in-sync music playing in both rooms.