Answered

Connecting Sonos Beam to satellite router (mesh)

• 23 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey there,

I just moved to a new flat inside of a single family home and they share the internet by having some kind of mesh network with a main router in the basement and LAN-connected routers serving as satellites on each floor. Every router has a different name but they all share the same password.

I have a Beam Gen 2, and I can‘t get it to connect with the router on my floor. I only get to the point where it lets me enter the password of my satellite router, but it wont connect to it. LAN or Wifi connection to the main router is not possible because it is in the basement and we are on the second floor.

I would like to stick with a wifi connection, since a LAN connection to the satellite router would be quite tricky to do.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 January 2024, 01:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’d be wondering what type of signal that router is sending out. Does it conform to the specs as listed on the Sonos Network Requirements FAQ? Specifically, is it 2.4Ghz b/g, and WPA or WPA 2? 

I’m not sure I understand the network topology, either. You state there is a router downstairs, and a router upstairs? Why two (or more?) routers? It would make more sense if there was a modem downstairs, and routers on each floor with different SSIDs, with each router handling its own IP addresses via DHCP.  

Can you reach a cable, at least temporarily, to the router on your floor? It may make life a bunch easier if so, if only to get the setup done. 

I’d be wondering what type of signal that router is sending out. Does it conform to the specs as listed on the Sonos Network Requirements FAQ? Specifically, is it 2.4Ghz b/g, and WPA or WPA 2? 

I’m not sure I understand the network topology, either. You state there is a router downstairs, and a router upstairs? Why two (or more?) routers? It would make more sense if there was a modem downstairs, and routers on each floor with different SSIDs, with each router handling its own IP addresses via DHCP.  

Can you reach a cable, at least temporarily, to the router on your floor? It may make life a bunch easier if so, if only to get the setup done. 

Thanks for the reply!

I am yet to get access to the routers interface, so I dont know exactly the specs of the signal.

The setup was already there when we moved in and I guess they want to keep it that way because it worked for everyone so far.

I can get a LAN connection between our upstairs router temporarily. Would this fix my problem?

Honestly, I think so? The phrase ‘between our upstairs router’ makes no sense to me. But if you can temporarily wire an Ethernet cable from your LAN to your Beam, it likely will help. I think you’d really be better off here if you were to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, there’s all sorts of dangers, like client isolation, etc, where it would likely be more helpful to have someone on the phone while you do this.