Skip to main content
Answered

Connecting problems: Playbar, Sub (Gen 2), Play:1 * 2

• 19 December 2023
  • 38 replies

Have a whole bunch of Sonos stuff, everything has been working fine but now something has happened. Can't get SUB & Play:1 to work with playbar.

If I make a stereo pair of Play:1 it works perfectly with or without sub, if I connect sub to any other speakers it works fine but if I try to connect them to playbar it doesn't work. Have reset and reinstalled tons of times. It refuses to work however the Playbar as it is also works without problems.

(Before, I use a network cable but after I talked to sonos support, now all speakers are on WIFI)

Searched the Sonos forum found others with the same problem but nowhere have I found how to solve it, does anyone here have any good tips before all the hair is gone :-)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Badge

When i use the new router 5 GHz was off only use 2.4 GHz. 

I have tried all other settings :-( 

do you think something might be wrong with playbar

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

It’s unusual, but possible, yes. Please submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the given number and I’ll let you know if there is a fault.

Badge

I have reinstall everything can not do it :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

You can’t submit a diagnostic? That generally indicates network issues, but I can try instructing your system to submit a report using my tools - I just need permission. Please let me know it’s OK and I’ll try that.

Badge

I will config it from scratch  again with the standalone router and send diagnostic after that :) 

Badge

@Corry P 

Now I have reset the system again, for the moment it's configured with a dedicated router with no other devices than my MAC, phone and one (wired Play:1), Playbar and sub nothing else. Still not working have sent a diagnostic 781065842 Playbar work fine but the sub is dead 

I have checked all your tips again. The parental control is off and 5GHz off to, only use 2.4 GHZ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

Well, the good news is that your Playbar does not have a fault (or not an immediately obvious one, anyway).

However, with only one Play:1, you can’t even attempt to add surrounds to the Playbar. Please add the other Play:1 to this system, then disconnect the ethernet cable to the first Play:1 (it’s best not to have surrounds wired to ethernet). Do not stereo pair the speakers together. Next, attempt to add the two Play:1s as surrounds and immediately submit a support diagnostic when it goes wrong, report the given number here, and I’ll see what I can see.

Because I have a feeling I might be missing something here (I can see that the Sub was offline during this diagnostic, and the Playbar reports a sudden spike in failed transmissions to the Sub immediately before it dropped), would you mind posting a photo of the Playbar and it’s immediate surroundings? If you do mind, would you mind listing everything within 1m of the Playbar instead? Thanks.

To be clear, I still suspect the router as the main cause of the issues you’re having, but I’m willing to help discount other possibilities too - that spike in errors on the Sub makes me think there might be a periodic spike in interference, which would also affect the surrounds.

Badge

I have not connected Play:1 to sub its a standalone speaker in another room I have only tried to connect the sub to playbar. now i switched on the  5 GHz and reinstalled the sub again connected it to playbar and it works for 15 sec and now the sub are not connected again exactly the same as every time before. Do you know when SONOS upgraded FW? I have a feeling the problem starts close to the last FW update?

I have used two different routers one of them with hardware reset. 

Have sent diagnostic again 1569288539

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To get an answer from Sonos on a diagnosis it’s better to call them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

With the Sub again missing from the report, I can only see that the Playbar reported significant packet loss (100%, 95% and 50%) approximately 15 minutes before you submitted the diagnostics. Those levels are extreme, and I would only expect to see them if other devices inducing interference were very close by. I recommend a read of our reducing wireless interference help page. You don’t want to have Wi-Fi or Radio enabled devices within 1m (3 feet) of the speakers, especially if that device is broadcasting WiFi. I strongly suspect that this is the cause of the issues you are having.

If the issue were due to the latest update, I think there would be many more complaints here in the forum, but for your information, the latest update was on 12/12/23.

My initial suspicion was that your Asus router was causing problems as we are aware of a few possibilities for things to go wrong (hence the multitude of things to try with the router’s settings), but I now suspect the issue is caused by interference. I don’t see your exact router model in my documentation, however - it could be because the router has no issues that we are aware of, or it could just be that we haven’t come across that model before. If the second router is not made by Asus and you are unable to configure surround speakers while your Playbar is connected to it rather than to the Asus router (after taking steps to reduce interference, of course!), I strongly suggest you get back in touch with our technical team so you at least have the option of getting someone more qualified than I to assist you. Note that if the two routers are at all close to each other, that would be a problem too.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks, I have also tried with another ASUS router and shut down all other network only have one ASUS router and sonos on, still same problem. 

I have a email dialog with sonos now i have no time to spend more houres with someone reads fron a script, i have a feeling maybe sonos last update create some problem i thing the problem start close to last update i have asked sonos about this. Last time tyears ago i have simular problem and then the solution was to reinsall sonos app om our phones  

I give up and wait for next firmware upgrade and se what happens.

I have read other have had exactly the same problem. Last option is, bye bye sonos and looking for other products / Peter 

Badge

@Corry P thanks for all your help anyway :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

It’s entirely up to you where you go from here, but please be aware that the best software updates in the world can’t reduce interference.