Skip to main content
Question

Connecting Beam to Chromecast and older TV

• 27 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I’ve recently moved into a new place which already has an older TV, which has HDMI but no ARC or optical output. The sound on the TV itself and the 3.5mm sound output don’t seem to work, although the picture works fine. In any case I’ve brought my Sonos Beam with me, which I’d like to use to get the sound from my Chromecast. 

If I get something like an hdmi audio extractor from Amazon to put between the Chromecast and the TV, with an optical cable to the beam (via the included converter), should that let me get the sound through the Beam without too much lag? I’m aware this isn’t a standard supported solution from Sonos and it may not give the very best audio quality but I’m not in a position to upgrade the TV and I just want to get a reasonable viewing experience.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Charlie122,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

Most TV's are compatible with Sonos home theater speakers, some may need additional configuration or may not work with Sonos. The Sonos Beam must be connected to your Sony TV's HDMI-ARC input and your TV needs to have HDMI-CEC enabled. You can also connect your Beam via an optical adapter that came with it to your TV. With Sonos Beam, you can add your music services in the Sonos app and stream music. The Sonos Beam is compatible with Airplay. You can stream your iOS device’s and Mac’s audio to supported Sonos products using Control Center. Using an HDMI audio extractor is not recommended. We don't limit our customers to try other options. However, we won't be able to guarantee compatibility. It may or may not work with Sonos. Let me share this community topic for your reference.

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their inputs about this. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.