Skip to main content

Hi all, first post.

i have a bean gen 2 and 2 so one ones. I have been trying to connect the two ones as a surround pair, but am having difficulty. I have called Sonos and they are raising the case further but was wondering if anyone else had this issue. My beam is connected to the Vodafone pro hub router via Ethernet and seems fine, but both ones are not connected to the WiFi. If I connected the ones to the router with an Ethernet switch would this rectify the issue. It’s not ideal but reading on here it seems an issue with the Vodafone router?

thanks in advance.

Not confident I can respond about the Vodafone issue, but surround speakers do not connect directly to your router’s signal. They do get proxy IP addresses from the router’s DHCP table, but their connection is directly to the soundbar (your Beam) on a ‘hidden’ 5Ghz channel.

Oh. As a consequence, the ‘radio/wifi’ on your Beam should be left on, and not turned ‘off’. 

Thanks for this, do you think if I wire them to the router that will sort it or not make a difference?

cheers

@Jonnys19882 

I would not wire either, or both, surrounds to the router, maybe try wiring the Beam instead - or even another ‘standalone’ Sonos product, that’s if you have another device?

I suspect the router itself is not supporting the ‘proxying’ of IP addresses to the surround speakers. Wiring the Beam ‘might’ resolve the issue, perhaps🤔?

@Jonnys19882,
Just to also add, if the Ones have been stereo paired, you need to unpair them before adding them to the Beam as surrounds and do not disable the WiFi adapters on any device, as mentioned earlier by Bruce.

Thanks for your response, the beam is wired to the router currently. The setup worked for about 2 weeks but has now stopped. The only way I cloud get it to work was to wire the beam in the first place.t

im a bit stuck.  I think you are right that the  router is not supporting the ‘proxying’ of IP addresses to the surround speakers, but if I wired all 3 would that help?

cheers

Thanks for your response, the beam is wired to the router currently. The setup worked for about 2 weeks but has now stopped. The only way I cloud get it to work was to wire the beam in the first place.t

im a bit stuck.  I think you are right that the  router is not supporting the ‘proxying’ of IP addresses to the surround speakers, but if I wired all 3 would that help?

cheers

Yes it might, but note it introduces aspects of potential network latency to the HT setup, but will likely be fine if all are linked to the router, or same switch. If the wired Beam worked for some weeks - then in truth, it should likely work now too. Anyhow I’m a believer in trying things (if they are convenient) and just see how you get on.

I agree. I think i will purchase a switch and some cable and see what happens.

I agree. I think i will purchase a switch and some cable and see what happens.

Or maybe just wait and see what Sonos Support suggest when they get back to you.