Skip to main content

Hi,

At the moment I got one sonos playbar under the tv and two sonos one sl beside the tv. Im looking to buy two more sonos one sl to have behind where im sitting, for surround and was wondering if that would be possible? Also want the sonos sub gen3 but for my knowledge that should be fine.

Thanks for answering!

In any Sonos HT system you can only attach/bond two rear channel left/right surround speakers and either one, or two, Subs (one must be a G3 Sub), or alternatively you can use one Sub Mini.

The front channel left/right speakers are built-into the main Sonos HT products, such as the PlayBar, Arc etc. so you cannot add speakers to replace those front channels.

You can ‘group’ (not bond) Sonos rooms together however and this works great for music playback, but note that any rooms grouped with a Sonos HT for playback of TV audio will have a 75ms audio buffer delay - if the grouped speakers are in the same room you may notice an echo effect across such grouping.

There are tools in the Sonos App however to help address this sync issue - see this link for further information:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-and-video-are-out-of-sync

Note: the ‘TV Dialog Sync’ feature will of course buffer the TV audio output and that ‘may’ lead to you noticing lip-sync issues with the video display on screen.

Hope that information assists.

Thanks for your response! 

So with that said, it's not possible for me to bond more than two sonos one to the playbar? Then I'll have to group them and have the delay of 75ms? 

Mikael

That’s correct, each Sonos home theater ‘room’ only allows a single pair of ‘surround’ speakers. 

@MikaelOverby 
Also note that the two bonded surround speakers are for playback of the two rear channels - so those bonded speakers should not be placed out in front, as I think you were ‘perhaps’ eluding to in your initial post.

@MikaelOverby 
Also note that the two bonded surround speakers are for playback of the two rear channels - so those bonded speakers should not be placed out in front, as I think you were ‘perhaps’ eluding to in your initial post.

At the moment i have the playbar underneath the tv and sonos one sl on stans on each side of the tv. So if i understand you correctly, i should place sonos one behind where I'm sitting?

@MikaelOverby 

At the moment i have the playbar underneath the tv and sonos one sl on stans on each side of the tv. So if i understand you correctly, i should place sonos one behind where I'm sitting?

If the speakers are ‘bonded’ to the Playbar, making them all a single Sonos room, then they ideally need placement as rear speakers - but if the One SL’s are showing as an entirely separate Sonos room in the App, then it’s fine to put them out in front, but, as mentioned, if you do then go onto group your One SL’s to the Playbar then you will likely notice a delay/echo effect in the room when playing ‘TV audio’ - it’s often quite noticeable when playing TV surround sound Dolby Digital/DTS/McPCM 5.1 etc. Grouping the rooms however is fine when playing ‘music audio’ such as Sonos Radio from the App etc.

That’s correct, each Sonos home theater ‘room’ only allows a single pair of ‘surround’ speakers. 

Thanks, this helped a lot! Shall hope sonos will add more speakers to connect in HT in the soon future.

Mikael