Answered

Connect beam with optical cable to schiit Hel2

Badge

Hi, 

I connected my sonos beam with the adapter hdmi-optical to my schiit hel2 DAC/AMP but it doesn't work, no sound come from the soundbar. I also installed the s2 software and tryed with my creative x3 and it works. Any suggestions? How can I fix it? Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 March 2022, 00:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

What kind of codec is the schiit hel2 generating?

Badge

What kind of codec is the schiit hel2 generating?

I don't know, no sound at all, I forgot to write the hel2 is connected to pc, and I tryed with others type c cables. 

Since you’re using an optical cable in the chain of connection, the maximum codec you can use is Dolby Digital. I suspect this schiit hel2 or the PC is trying to send something higher, like Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, or Dolby Atmos. None of those can be used across the optical cable to the Sonos. 

Badge

Since you’re using an optical cable in the chain of connection, the maximum codec you can use is Dolby Digital. I suspect this schiit hel2 or the PC is trying to send something higher, like Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, or Dolby Atmos. None of those can be used across the optical cable to the Sonos

I have no sound only with hel2, with my creative x3 working like a charm. I don't know what to do to fix it

Look at the signal type being send by the hel2. That’s where your issue is, since the creative x3 is working fine. 

Badge

Look at the signal type being send by the hel2. That’s where your issue is, since the creative x3 is working fine. 

How can I see and eventually change it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is the optical connection on the hel2 an output? I only see an input mentioned here: https://www.schiit-europe.com/product/hel-high-power-gaming-and-music-dac-amp/?lang=nl

And to directly answer your question, no idea. This isn’t a support forum for Schiit. You’d probably need to look at the manual to see how to identify the output, or contact their customer support.

And certainly the issue raised by @106rallye would be a concern, as well. 

Badge

Is the optical connection on the hel2 an output? I only see an input mentioned here: https://www.schiit-europe.com/product/hel-high-power-gaming-and-music-dac-amp/?lang=nl

So it's because is an input that why I can't hear no sound? I already wrote to schiit support but not answer 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It’s a possibility, yes. You could check this - I don’t own one.

Badge

It’s a possibility, yes. You could check this - I don’t own one.

I see the manual, I confirm the optical port  is input, so what can I do? Thanks 

Thanks for all answers 

Badge

And to directly answer your question, no idea. This isn’t a support forum for Schiit. You’d probably need to look at the manual to see how to identify the output, or contact their customer support.

And certainly the issue raised by @106rallye would be a concern, as well. 

Do you know a soundbar with an optical output compatible with hel2? 

Unfortunately, I do not, I use Sonos Arcs, and haven’t looked beyond that. 

Userlevel 7

I doubt many, if any, soundbars would have an optical output. The whole point of a soundbar is to receive a sound signal to play on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why does the soundbar need to have an output? What do you want to achieve? I thought you wanted to connect an outside source to your soundbar to make the soundbar play the sound it receives. Did I not understand you right?

A DAC is a ‘D’igital to ‘A’nalog ‘C’onverter.  This means the input is ‘D’igital and the output is ‘A’nalog.  Not sure what you are trying to achieve here, but you are most certainly not doing it correctly.

Badge

I would like only to connect a soundbar to my hel2 if it's possible 

Only if you convert the analog out of the DAC back into digital with an ADC, but that will negate any perceived improvement from the DAC.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you are trying to convert a digital signal to analogue, only to have the Beam digitise it?

Badge

Only if you convert the analog out of the DAC back into digital with an ADC, but that will negate any perceived improvement from the DAC.  

If I lose the improvement from the DAC, it's not a good idea, I'm not be able do what you said, can you tell me an example please? 

Badge

So you are trying to convert a digital signal to analogue, only to have the Beam digitise it?

I would like a solution to use my beam and the hel2 on my pc but I don't know how to do. 

Thanks all for answers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It looks like the Hel2 isn’t suited to connect to a Beam. You need an HDMI-ARC or optical connection for a Beam. Most PC’s do not have an HDMI-ARC or optical. What connections does your PC have?

I would like a solution to use my beam and the hel2 on my pc but I don't know how to do. 

Thanks all for answers 

In case you haven't realized, it's pretty clear that what you wish to do is impossible.  

@Cristmas,
Maybe study this link below and just see if any of the available options may apply… if none of them are open to you, then you most likely need to rethink your existing hardware in order to connect Sonos to your PC/Other devices:

Badge

It looks like the Hel2 isn’t suited to connect to a Beam. You need an HDMI-ARC or optical connection for a Beam. Most PC’s do not have an HDMI-ARC or optical. What connections does your PC have?

HDMI on GPU and MOBO, and optical on MOBO.