Skip to main content
Answered

Connect an old Yamaha amplifier to Sonos Home Theater Set

• 28 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi All,

I have an old Yamaha amplifier (20 years) 5.1 with home cinema sound (1 subwoofer + 5 speakers), connected to my TV via cable.

I’d like to keep my amplifier but put a Sonos home theater (ultimate immersive set with arc) instead of my subwoofer+speakers.

How can I do that?

With cables connectd to my amplifier? Which ones?

Do I have to skip my Yamaha amplifier and thus connect the Sonos home theater directly to my TV? Bluetooth or cables?

I’m a dummies in that area… any support will be welcome ;-)

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You’ll indeed need to skip the Yamaha, and have the whole home theater setup be Sonos. Companies don’t allow a ‘mix and match’ situation for Home Theater. 

You could still connect a Port to your Yamaha as a ‘tape deck’, and get the information from any connected devices (turntable, other tape decks, etc) into the Sonos environment, if you so desired, and that content could then be played on any Sonos speakers you wanted. 

Two of the possible soundbar devices use HDMI-ARC to connect to the TV, although they come with an optical adapter, one soundbar device is optical only. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You might go with Sonos for the TV, and then connect a Port to your AVR using the Tape In/Out if possible to integrate the two systems.

You might see a bit of delay if you try to play the TV through Sonos to the AVR, some can be reduced but there is enough that can’t most folks find it too aggravating. Not an issue with music sources though.