Skip to main content

1. I play song on headphones. I can hear definite right left separation. On Sonos I either can't or barely barely can. 

2. Videogame. Let's say I stand by roaring fire. Looking at it straight, sound comes from front, when I'm turning, I could hear sound change direction. Now again, either I don't hear it either it's barely. 

Oh also I can't do trueplay. On iPad it doesn't work (I ain't the only one with a problem), on android it does not exist. 

Those are 2 examples. 

So. My old place had a beam gen 2 and sub. All was fine. I was happy. Couldn't even think about upgrading. 

Moved. And sound turned.. small? Single direction? No... Directionality? 

Got 2 eras 300 as surrounds. That fixed feeling like sound comes from one point. Now sound comes from all around.

However directionality and stereo is still not there. 

Like I mention in the beginning. Spotify song. Definite left-right separation. Sonos? Nope. 

Same with video games. I just can't hear direction of a sound. 

In the first post of the following Reddit thread, there are links to two Dolby Atmos test tone files.  Play those files and download via the “. . .” on the screen (or play them to an Apple TV via an iDevice).  That will tell you if the directional queues in your setup are being played correctly.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/125x4jr/extremely_cooluseful_for_era_300sarc_isolated/

In the first post of the following Reddit thread, there are links to two Dolby Atmos test tone files.  Play those files and download via the “. . .” on the screen (or play them to an Apple TV via an iDevice).  That will tell you if the directional queues in your setup are being played correctly.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/125x4jr/extremely_cooluseful_for_era_300sarc_isolated/

Thank you. I'll do it when I get home after work. 

However I was playing Spotify "Dolby Atmos" playlist. (I do have enable Dolby Atmos button on Spotify), and songs I could clearly hear left-right in headphones I couldn't on Sonos. 

However I was playing Spotify "Dolby Atmos" playlist. (I do have enable Dolby Atmos button on Spotify), and songs I could clearly hear left-right in headphones I couldn't on Sonos. 

Well first of all, Sonos only does Atmos music via Amazon and Apple Music.  Atmos music on Spotify isn’t supported, you would only get stereo.  Second, Atmos music is only available through the Sonos app.  It will not play from the native Amazon or Apple Music app and/or Airplay. 

Well first of all, Sonos only does Atmos music via Amazon and Apple Music.  Atmos music on Spotify isn’t supported, you would only get stereo.  Second, Atmos music is only available through the Sonos app.  It will not play from the native Amazon or Apple Music app and/or Airplay. 

Ok. That's interesting to know. 

But I still "should" hear stereo? Even on Spotify when played trough Sonos app, right? 

Ok. That's interesting to know. 

But I still "should" hear stereo? Even on Spotify when played trough Sonos app, right? 

You should, but it could be Spotify downmixing to mono if you choose to play Atmos over a stereo only connection.  I don’t know what they actually do.

This is actually cool! 

So far test results.

Front left -right. Sound comes from beam left and right. And era front facing sides. So far so good?

Center. Sound comes from beam center, but also from both eras. 

Rear, top and other channels seem to  be treated similar to left right. 

Sub? Nothing.

Left right. Beam left right, and both eras front facing sides 

Center. Sound comes from beam center but also both eras. 

Sub. Nothing. 

Rear? Same as left and right. 

Height channels seem to be treated same as left and right. 

1. I do definetely have sub. 

2. Is center channel supposed to be heard from surrrounds?

3. Is eras supposed to use different drivers for side, rear and height surrounds?

So essentially since i was doing all my streaming trough ps5, i was getting just 2.0.

Tried to watch disney shogun directly on tv, without ps5, turns out it outputs dolby.  wow what a difference!

Just dug up that i can set ps5 to output dolby atmos. Now tv output says dolby atmos whatever  i stream on ps5. Im confused... 

Sound did become bettee but i somehow fail to believe that chruncyroll anime plays dolby atmos...l