Answered

can you mute everything but the sub?

• 20 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Bit of a strange one.

My living room has an AVR and ceiling mounted 5.1 system that was there when we moved in.

it’s great but we rarely use it because the ceiling speakers are right under the kids bedrooms.

also I got rid of the sub because the only place to put it is in what is now the children’s play corner.

I’ve since bought a sonos beam and two symfonisk bookshelf rears, which we use 90 per cent of the time. The same signal gets sent to both setups.

i’m thinking about adding a Sonos sub but was wondering:

Would it be possible to effectively add the Sonos sub to the existing 5.1 by playing to both systems simultaneously by switching off the symfonisk surrounds and somehow muting the beam but not the sub.

I doubt it is but not sure.

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 20 January 2024, 13:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@tomp1

If you configure Beam, both symfonisk and the sub as ONE room as a home theater surround setup, the sub can be turned on or off for the whole setup. The rearspeakers also can be turned on or off. The Beam as the master device of thr setup always is active. If the rears are turned off and the sub is on, it will play together just with the Beam. 

If you configure two rooms. One as a Stereo Setup of both symfonisk and the second with the Beam, you have to decide which room the sub is bonded to. Then it just plays for that room and can be turned on or off for that romm. 

As you like, each room can play alone, both independent each for itself at the same time or both together synced as a group. 

And to complete the answer to your question… if a „room“ (setup / configuration) is muted, ALL devices of the setup are muted.