Answered

Can Sonos Beam be used with Apple Mac?

• 11 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Can Sonos Beam be used with Apple Mac? What connections would I use? (The Mac has an HDMI port and an Ethernet port). 

icon

Best answer by buzz 11 April 2023, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

I may have read something relating to your question here in the community but can’t remember when or where. Sorry.

However, I do know you can use a Sonos Roam in BT mode. I have two in stereo pair connected to my Mac Studio. I listen to music via the Sonos App for songs in my library as well as streaming via SiriusXM. I can also play music via Apple Music downloaded to my Mac and streamed. 

Your profile doesn’t indicate that you have any Sonos products. That said (if it’s possible to use a Beam) a Beam 2 will cost $499_USD and not give the same stereo separation as two Roams costing $358_USD (saving $141_USD. If you already have a Beam or Beam 2 then cost may be a moot point.

SONOS is not designed to be used as a computer speaker. That said, some SONOS models can use a BT or Airplay 2 connection.

Hmmmm.   I have come to understand that my Sonos Beam has to be connected to the HDMI ARC port on the back of my Samsung TV with a special HDMI ARC cable.  There are two other HDMI ports.  Can I connect my cable box to one of these ports? Can I connect my Mac Mini to the other port so I can continue being able to use a computer on the TV screen and so I can play YouTube music with much better control over playlists and so forth via keyboard and mouse ?   If no, why is Sonos excluding traditional inputs to home theaters and leaving us to the mercies of Alexa and the rotten little TV remote? 

Userlevel 7

Hi

You cable box will always be connected to your TV typically a non-HDMI-eARC port. Your Beam 2 should connect to a HDMI-eARC port. If a Beam Gen1 just connect it to a HDMI-ARC port. Check your TV manual to determine if it allows a direct connection of your Mac to via HDMI.