Answered

Can other people easily connect to my Sonos to play music

• 6 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi Sonos

How easy is it for guests who come to my house to play their own music?

Is it simple? I would like any guest to connect to my playbar simply and easily.

Do they need to install special software or can they just connect to my wifiand start playing?

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

Moderator note: We updated this article in October 2023 with new information below.

An up to date list of Airplay compatible Sonos products can be found here:  Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 December 2021, 05:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Since the Playbar is not Bluetooth or AirPlay compatible, a guest would have to download the Sonos app on their phone or tablet and log into your account using your username and password to play music.

If you have an AirPlay-compatible Sonos device, a guest with an iOS device could AirPlay the audio to that speaker and then you could group the Playbar with it in the Sonos app.

These Sonos devices are compatible with AirPlay:

• All SYMFONISK speakers
  • Amp
  • Arc
  • Beam
  • Beam (Gen 2)
  • Five
  • Move
  • One
  • One SL
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Playbase
  • Port
  • Roam

If you have a Sonos Roam, a guest could play music to the Roam over Bluetooth and then you could group the Playbar with the Roam.

Badge

If you have an AirPlay-compatible Sonos device, a guest with an iOS device could AirPlay the audio to that speaker and then you could group the Playbar with it in the Sonos app.

This Sonos device is compatible with AirPlay:

• Arc

Hi GS

Thanks for your detailed reply. Much appreciated. Can I tease this out. Can I confirm if I have the Arc and an iPhone that its much simpler? Ie pretty much guest airplays to Arc and the music syncs to the speaker? 

Userlevel 7

This Sonos device is compatible with AirPlay:

• Arc

Hi GS

Thanks for your detailed reply. Much appreciated. Can I tease this out. Can I confirm if I have the Arc and an iPhone that its much simpler? Ie pretty much guest airplays to Arc and the music syncs to the speaker? 

Yes, if you had an Arc, a guest with an iPhone would simply AirPlay the audio from their phone to the Arc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just remember that if the guest has access to your wifi he can do a lot more on it than just play music. That's why guest networks exist.

If the guest uses Spotify connect with Sonos play something else after he has left: Spotify Connect keeps the last used Connect connection alive, even when the guest is outside of your wifi network. This connection will only be broken if you play something else on your Sonos. With a live connection a guest could leave your house, but still be in command of your Sonos system. So  when he wants to play something for himself next, he will get no sound, turn up the volume and wake your household (and probably the neighbours too).