Answered

BT Smart Hub 2 arrived today | Duplicate IP addresses show in Hub Manager->My Devices

Badge +2

Due to BT switching over to Digital Voice we received the latest Smart Hub 2 from them today. I setup the router and conned my iPad, my partners iPad and our phones to it, all good. 

Next up I decided to add my Sonos speakers to it. In the living room I have a Beam, Sub and two Sonos One SL speakers, and upstairs I have a Sonos One.

I’ve not experienced any issues as yet, but I’m seeing some worrying info in the Hub Manager->My Devices, namely duplicate IP addresses, but in the Sonos App on my phone I’m not seeing any duplicate IPs at all?

This is a screen grab from the BT Smart Hub, Hub Manager:

This is a screen shot from the Sonos App->Settings->System->About My System on my iPhone. 

As you can see there are no dupes and the IP address for the Beam is totally different to that shown I’m the Smart Hub 2, Hub Manager settings. 

Anyone have any idea what’s going on here?

Thanks,

Moderator edit: removed serial numbers and MAC addresses

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 May 2024, 17:40

View original

4 replies

The Beam is proxying the IP addresses for the surround speakers that are bonded to it over a 5Ghz Ad-hoc wireless network, between the HT devices - if it is all working okay, I would just leave things as they stand.

Badge +2

Many thanks Ken. 

I do like to plan ahead though, so if I do encounter any issues are there any suggestions I could follow?

Many thanks Ken. 

I do like to plan ahead though, so if I do encounter any issues are there any suggestions I could follow?

Some routers display this type of ad-hoc ‘proxied’ wireless connection in a few different ways - it’s usually suffice to say the Sonos primary Home Theatre manages the IP addresses for the surrounds and the HT speakers talk to each other direct, rather than going via the router… in my own case I use a Plume router and it shows my surround speakers and Sub as being disconnected and offline, but all still continue to work fine. 

Any problems arising in the future, my suggestion would be to simply reboot the primary HT device (Beam) then go onto reboot the surround speakers/sub afterwards and let them sort out things out for themselves.

If you want to get rid of the duplicate IP addresses you could perhaps take each devices MAC address and add it to the routers DHCP reservation table - in my own case I have set my Sonos products to use IP addresses high up in the subnet to lift them out the way of my other network devices using DHCP.

So, just as a random example. you could set the Beam and other products up in the Routers DHCP reservation table with static IP addresses as follows:

Beam: 192.168.1.200

One-SL LS: 192.168.1.201

One-SL RS: 192.168.1.202

Sub: 192.168.1.203

etc. etc.

It still may not guarantee what you see displayed in the router software, but setting the addresses static, I find, often helps with Sonos controllers SSDP multicast broadcast device discovery and that can make things startup faster in the Sonos App.

Hope that assists.👍

Badge +2

Many thanks for your help with this. 

Regards,