blinking red light samsung TV

Hello, 

I have a beam gen 2 connected to my samsung tv with HDMI eARC and set up Alexa for voice control.

It’s working great for all alexa’s request except the one regarding the TV. turning the tv on and off with alexa sometimes doesn’t work. I noticed that the tv had a blinking power red light. I think it’s related with the beam because when I unplug it the red light is not blinking anymore and the command works.

Is there anything I can do to fix that ? I can’t disable HDMI CEC just for the sonos, on the samsung it’s all or nothing for CEC (anynet).

I already try to unplug tv for 60 sec, it works for like 30 sec and then the blinking starts again.

Hope I find a solution.

Regards,

Hugo

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

My Samsung TV  does the same. It's not a problem for me though as the red led is so small it's barely noticeable.  It's been two years and the TV works just fine still. I guess you could put a bit of black tape over the led if it is annoying you 

As for your other issue, I sometimes have that and I tend to  just flip the phrase around from "turn off TV" to "turn TV off" or vice versa and that often works. If it's persistent i unplug the TV for a few seconds and that does the trick (almost like it resets itself). It's a fairly infrequent problem though.

Hope that helps (or at least confirms it not just you!)

Cheers!

Reboot of the SAMSUNG TV’s requires power to be removed for at least two minutes.

There are CEC blockers that can be installed between TV and the soundbar. After installing the blocker, you’ll need to use IR to control the soundbar Volume when using the TV or cable box remotes. This is usually a minor reconfiguration.

With the CEC blocker in place, you can continue to enable Anynet on the TV, it just will not receive any commands and the connected unit will not respond to CEC commands. In some cases multiple CEC capable devices connected to the TV will interfere with each other and blocking one or more will resolve the issue.

Hello @jacob_7 , thanks for you quick response :)

I’m glad to know I’m not alone. Yes the blinking is not really anoying I can barely see it but I was afraid it may damage the TV but if you tell me that after 2 years your TV still work fine good then.

For the voice recognition, the issue is not that the voice is not recognized, alexa says okay I turn TV on every time, but as long as the led is blinking it’s doing nothing the tv does not turn on. And it’s really only when the beam is pluged that the led is blinking and it’s not working. If I unplug hdmi cable between beam and tv the led stop blinking and the TV turns on with alexa.

Cheers,

Hugo

Something to try: Disconnect all HDMI from the TV, reboot TV (remember the two minute rule for the TV) and soundbar, power up both units, then reconnect HDMI to the soundbar. Test this connection before connecting other HDMI devices.

Something to try: Disconnect all HDMI from the TV, reboot TV (remember the two minute rule for the TV) and soundbar, power up both units, then reconnect HDMI to the soundbar. Test this connection before connecting other HDMI devices.

Hello @buzz , I tried it, it worked but just the first time, right after the tv is turn on with alexa, I turn it off and then after a few seconds blinking again and I had just the beam connected to the TV :(

Looks like the beam is constantly talking to the tv with hdmi cec. from what I found it’s happening only with samsung tv, strange.

You can also remove the TV and soundbar from Alexa, then reinstall them.

You can also remove the TV and soundbar from Alexa, then reinstall them.

I will try that but I don’t think it will work. The issue doesn’t seem to be Alexa related, it’s really when the beam is plugged with HDMI to the TV that’s it’s messing with the samsung led and remote turn on. But it also tried to turn it on from Apple Home and when blinking does not work either. I try and let you know.

Alexa involvement is speculative. i assume that the TV firmware is up to date.

I’m tending to blame this TV because there is not a flood of similar complaints. You can probably work around the issue with a CEC blocker.

I tried and it’s still not working. Yes the tv and the beam are both up to date.

Yes I think the problem is on samsung side, I found a topic from 3 years ago and it’s basically the same problem I have :

I don’t understand why samsung and sonos don’t work together to fix this issue.
Ok so yes the CEC, I disabled it on the TV (and it fixed the issue) but it’s not good because I need that when my tv turns off my apple tv turns off to.
But if there is a way to only block CEC for the HDMI port of the beam it would be perfect !

But won’t blocking cec on the beam will also block the ability to control sound of the beam with the apple tv (or tv) remote? 

I tried and it’s still not working. Yes the tv and the beam are both up to date.

Yes I think the problem is on samsung side, I found a topic from 3 years ago and it’s basically the same problem I have :

I don’t understand why samsung and sonos don’t work together to fix this issue.
Ok so yes the CEC, I disabled it on the TV (and it fixed the issue) but it’s not good because I need that when my tv turns off my apple tv turns off to.
But if there is a way to only block CEC for the HDMI port of the beam it would be perfect !

But won’t blocking cec on the beam will also block the ability to control sound of the beam with the apple tv (or tv) remote? 

and will the sound still be in dolby atmos with a cec blocker ?