Skip to main content

I’ve got a Beam paired to a Sub, and two Ones in separate rooms. The Sub and one of the Ones are plugged into Ethernet. The other One is connected to SonosNet, but the Beam refuses to get off wifi even after a reboot. I have also tried deleting the wifi network in the app, and the Beam then loses all connectivity.

I suppose it doesn’t really impact performance, but it’s kind of annoying and I’d like to understand why. Thanks

Remove the wire from the Sub. You shouldn't wire a home theatre satellite unless the main HT player is also wired. 

Also be sure you have WiFi enabled for all speakers in the Sonos app.

The Beam's on WiFi, and the wired One's radio isn't disabled. Assuming they're within range the Beam should connect to SonosNet. If it's stubborn a factory reset should fix it. 

Remove the wire from the Sub. You shouldn't wire a home theatre satellite unless the main HT player is also wired. 

Why? Does it say this in the docs somewhere I missed?

The surrounds communicate direct in a timely manner with the main Sonos HT player over an Ad-hoc 5Ghz wireless connection - it’s best that happens, rather than wiring them back to the main player, via your router and wired LAN, as they may otherwise encounter latency.

The 5GHz connection between the HT satellite and the master player is only intended to carry the audio for its specific channel. Wiring a satellite, without wiring the master, causes the 5GHz connection to also act as a trunk. The increased traffic could thus affect the performance of the HT setup.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

quote: ‘Connecting one of your Sonos products to your router with an Ethernet cable will put your system into a wired setup. In a wired setup, the wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network that your Sonos products will use. Surround speakers or Sub cannot be used as the single wired product.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

quote: ‘Connecting one of your Sonos products to your router with an Ethernet cable will put your system into a wired setup. In a wired setup, the wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network that your Sonos products will use. Surround speakers or Sub cannot be used as the single wired product.

The sub was not the only wired product. OP confirmed a One in a separate room was also wired, which would create SonosNet.

@gfunkdave - Simply changing the SonosNet channel can flip a device onto SonosNet from WiFi.

Thanks all. Yes to be clear the two Ones are in two separate rooms. Resetting the Beam to factory and re-adding it (and the Sub) fixed things. 

Even with additional wired devices elsewhere, having an HT satellite as the sole wired device in the HT setup is inadvisable.

The HT master could be acting as a wireless relay to which other nodes connect, putting non-HT traffic onto the satellite's connection. The connection can fluctuate while the HT setup is idle.

Even in the absence of such extra nodes, the HT master would have to fetch non-TV streams over this link.