Skip to main content
Answered

Beam + Sky Q no digital audio

• 28 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’ve seen there are topics on similar but try as I might I can’t fix it.

2014 Panasonic TV TXL42ET60

sky Q 1 TB box

sonos beam gen 2

connections

beam connected to TV via HDMI2 (ARC) using Sonos lead

sky q to HDMI 1

viera link is on. HDMI output on TV is set to digital.

setup via Sonos app and the TV is connected.

I can only get sound on HD channels if on the Sky q settings the HDMI output is set to normal and then it comes as stereo PCM 2.0

if I change the HDMI output on sky box to digital then I will only get sound on non-HD channels

Absolutely infuriating so far. Certainly the investment wasn’t to have a stereo speaker!

All advice welcome - I’m off to the pub and will check back tomorrow!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Your TV was actually released in 2013. Because it is an older TV, it probably cannot pass through 5.1 audio from external devices connected to the TV’s HDMI ports. I have a Panasonic ST60 from 2013 and it has the same issue. I can only get stereo audio from my streaming devices and Blu-ray player.

Your options are to upgrade to a new TV (preferably equipped with HDMI eARC) or do what I did and get the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that will allow your Sky Q box to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Beam so you can get 5.1 audio.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI… the only way I can get 5.1 audio from my TV is to play 5.1 video files from a flash drive plugged in to the TV’s USB port.

Thanks for your response. I’m hoping your wrong but starting to think you might be right - the YV can’t pass through a digital signal. I assumed that ARC always did this but perhaps not?

I have the same results using the optical in and the HDMI-optical adapter.

@GuitarSuperstar is right. Even fairly recent Panasonic TVs have been unable to output surround sound formats from HDMI inputs.