Answered

Beam IR sensor stops working

Badge

I purchased a Beam a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it but twice now I’ve had to power cycle it to get the IR sensor working again. Randomly it will stop responding to Sky Q remote when streaming music. Tried all the usual - batteries in remote, making sure IR sensor isn’t blocked, re-pairing etc. A power cycle is the only thing that works instantly without having to alter any other settings. It’s so frustrating and annoying. 
I have read other posts about this but they seem to be a few years old. Anyone else experiencing this still, any fixes etc?? I’ve got the latest software installed. TIA

icon

Best answer by buzz 17 July 2021, 23:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge

Yeah HDMI CEC is just too convenient to turn off. It’s just frustrating that the IR sensor works perfectly and then just stops working randomly. It wouldn’t matter if I programmed other remotes it’s the beam that doesn’t receive IR commands. 
I might try a small piece of tape over the IR sensor. That’s all I’ve got left to try to be honest. Hopefully this will stop any excess IR interference and stop confusing the Beam (if that’s really the cause!) 

If your pad/phone camera is sensitive to IR, you can verify that your remote emits IR.

Badge

If your pad/phone camera is sensitive to IR, you can verify that your remote emits IR.

Could you enlighten me on this please? 

Attempt to take a picture of the remote’s emitter while emitting a command. While previewing the image you may see a faint flashing. First you need to verify that you can see some flashing using a remote that you are certain is emitting IR. An older CD or DVD player remote would be a good test candidate. Modern TV and cable box remotes might use Bluetooth to communicate with their box. Another way to prove that IR is being used would be to physically block IR transmission. If commands are no longer executed, then you know that IR is being used.

Badge

UPDATE. Power cycled the Beam and Sky remote working via IR for music streaming volume and HDMI CEC for TV volume. I’ve put a strip of sellotape over the Beam’s IR sensor to reduce any sensitivity/interference.  So far so good. Working perfectly. It looks crude but could be made neater if it works long term.