Beam gen2 is cutting sound to TV not connected to SONOS

• 31 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi everyone!  I am new to SONOS and am having a problem after successfully (easily) connecting our new Beam gen2 to our playroom TV.  We are DISH Network subscribers and the playroom TV is connected to a DISH Joey receiver with an HDMI cable and the Joey receiver is connected to the satellite antenna via a RG6 cable.  To allow reception of the DISH signal on a small Kitchen TV, the DISH installer connected what appears to be a signal amplifier to the Joey receiver with RG6 coaxial and from that device a RG6 coaxial cable connects to a 4-way splitter and a RG6 cable connects to the kitchen TV.  I am describing our playroom/kitchen satellite TV installation to provide information which may help solve our Beam problem and to also state that our setup was installed and approved by DISH network.

With that out of the way, here is our problem:  after installing the SONOS Beam, we no longer have sound on the kitchen TV.  Although the kitchen TV can only receive the same channel as the playroom TV is tuned to, sound volume on the kitchen TV is controlled independently of the playroom TV.  The kitchen TV is not connected to our network by any means, wired or Wi-Fi. I do not understand how the Beam soundbar can control the sound on a television which is not connected to it.  Can anyone please provide a solution?  

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Honestly, I think you’ve provided too much information, and I’m getting lost in it all.

You have two TVs? Are they the same?

You have one Beam, and it’s connected to one TV (kitchen) via the ARC connection on the TV?

The Beam has no knowledge of any TV that it’s not connected to via an HDMI cable. The volume is controlled by the remote control for the TV, which sends a volume command to the TV, which then passes it back out via ARC to the Beam. The only way I can think of for there to be any “cross” connection is if both TVs are the same and are receiving the same volume command from the single remote control. 

Badge

Bruce, 

I was only intending to provide sufficient information; apologies if I confused. 

Anyway, the TVs are not the same. The one connected to Beam, via ARC, is a Sony XBR65X900F 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Android TV and the kitchen TV with no sound is a 12-inch off-brand connected via RG6 coax cable. Their remotes are not compatible. 

How is the Beam connected to the Kitchen TV (HDMI-ARC or Optical)? Does the Kitchen TV audio work with the Kitchen TV’s own internal speakers (i.e. when the Beam is not connected to the TV?)

No need to apologize to me, it’s me that was confused, not you :)

OK, it’s clear it’s not an issue with a remote controlling both TVs at the same time. As I said, the Beam has no knowledge whatsoever about the second TV that it isn’t connected to. Answers to @Ken_Griffiths ‘ questions would be good… and helpful to us to understand. 

As far as I’m aware, we really need to ignore TV 2 for now, and focus on the TV that the Beam is connected to. Or were you even having trouble with the volume on TV2 (the one not connected to the Beam?)

Badge

How is the Beam connected to the Kitchen TV (HDMI-ARC or Optical)? Does the Kitchen TV audio work with the Kitchen TV’s own internal speakers (i.e. when the Beam is not connected to the TV?)

Good questions... The Beam is only connected to the playroom TV, where it's (Beam) is located. As noted in my question, the kitchen TV is connected via a RG6 coax cable which is connected to a 4-way splitter which is connected to the satellite receiver by RG6 cable. There are only the TV's internal speakers used with the kitchen TV.

After connecting Beam to the playroom TV there was no volume on the kitchen TV.  We had no problems with the kitchen TV volume before installation of the Beam on the playroom TV. 

Thanks. 

You missed the important question. How is the Beam connected to the TV? Is it with an HDMI cable directly, or are you using an optical connection to the Sonos adapter plugged in to the Beam?

What happens if you disconnect the Beam? Does the volume return on the other TV?

Good questions... The Beam is only connected to the playroom TV, where it's (Beam) is located. As noted in my question, the kitchen TV is connected via a RG6 coax cable which is connected to a 4-way splitter which is connected to the satellite receiver by RG6 cable. There are only the TV's internal speakers used with the kitchen TV.

So you already have a Beam wired to the playroom TV and all worked fine on both that TV and the Kitchen TV, which was using its internal TV speakers - presumably you removed that Beam and then connected a different Beam to the playroom TV and now the playroom TV ‘still’ works fine, but the Kitchen TV has stopped outputting it’s audio (via internal speakers) - is that what you’re saying? If so, I can only assume you’ve done something wrong with coax cableling as you swapped the one Beam for the other - or by ‘sheer coincidence’ the Kitchen TV has a fault.

That said, your posts are somewhat confusing, so it’s perhaps best you bullet point everything ‘step-by-step’ and describe the connections/devices you’re (ex)changing and maybe state what you’re trying to achieve. Then folk here can perhaps assist you further and make some suggestions.

Badge

Wow! I certainly appreciate all the attempts to help with this issue. As @Ken_Griffiths asked I will restate what I said in my OP with bullet points and more clarification :

* Beam connected to playroom TV via ARC.

* Beam has only been connected to playroom TV, never to kitchen TV.

* Kitchen TV is connected to 4-way splitter via coaxial cable.

* Four - way splitter connected to satellite receiver via coaxial cable.

* New replacement kitchen TV has no internal speaker sound, same as old CRT kitchen TV did not, following Beam installation.

Bottom line is I want to restore sound to the kitchen TV while simultaneously having Beam sound from the playroom TV.

=================ALERT===================

Well, my face is certainly red. 

I should have taken the simple route first. Per @Ken_Griffiths suggestion, I disconnected and removed power from the Beam and there was still no sound from the kitchen TV. It appears that a problem with my existing connections occurred simultaneously with the installation of the Beam. Until i can trace that down, I've connected a small Bluetooth speaker to the playroom TV and have adequate sound at the kitchen TV.

Many thanks to all of you for your troubleshooting suggestions.